Now with Sound ID! Record the birds you hear, and watch real-time results show up on the screen to help guide you to the correct identification.
What's that bird? Merlin Bird ID helps you solve the mystery in 5 questions, or with a photo of a bird.
First, Merlin asks you a few simple questions. Then, almost like magic, it reveals the list of birds that best match your description. Pick your bird, then delve into more photos, sounds, and ID tips about your bird!
If you have a photo, Merlin can help there as well. Take a photo, choose from your camera roll, or snap the viewfinder of your zoom camera, and Merlin's powerful AI will suggest an identification almost instantly.
Merlin is fun and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird that comes to your feeder. The answers are waiting for you with this free field guide app from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Created for birders and bird watchers of every level, Merlin identifies 4,500+ bird species across the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, India and Australia.
• Merlin can identify a bird in a photo using powerful deep learning algorithms. Select your photo, tell Merlin where and when you took it, and you'll see a short list of suggested identifications.
• Bird packs available for United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, India, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Brazil, Chile, India, Australia with more coming soon.
• Explore birds by location and date with a list of species seen in the area.
• Intelligent results. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities! Merlin shows the birds near you that fit your description.
• Customized location and date tools generate best answers for your neighborhood and time of year.
• Powered by eBird to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings from bird watchers across the world.
• Enjoy more than 30,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Learn ID tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology experts.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including 14,000 songs and calls for each species curated by the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• It’s all free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds.
Merlin is the most advanced bird guide app available, and is expanding to new regions of the world.
••• Bird Packs •••
The Britain and Ireland pack is available through a partnership with the British Trust for Ornithology. Bird identification help is also available across Europe with the Western Europe pack, Iberian Peninsula, a pack covering the Scandinavian countries and a comprehensive Western Palearctic guide.
Merlin Bird ID also includes bird identification help for the United States with regional packs for the: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, Texas and Oklahoma, Alaska, and West Coast.
Canada is covered by Eastern Canada and Western Canada packs.
Mexico bird identification is available for each region of the country.
Central America packs include Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.
South America packs include the Medellín, Bogota and Cali regions of Colombia, southeastern Brazil, and Chile.
The Australia packs cover the southeast and north parts of the country.
Asia bird ID help is available for India.
These packs make Merlin the perfect pocket Field Guide to North American Birds, Hawaii Bird Guide, Mexico Bird Guide, Guatemala Bird Guide, Belize Bird Guide, Honduras Bird Guide, El Salvador Bird Guide, Nicaragua Bird Guide, Costa Rica Bird Guide, and Panama Bird Guide, Bird Guide to Colombia, Bird Guide to Brazil, Chile Bird Guide, India Bird Guide, Australia Bird Guide, Bird Guide to Europe, Bird Guide to Spain, Bird Guide to Portugal, Bird Guide to Britain, and Bird Guide to Scandinavia.
Sound ID is launching, with initial support for 400+ species in the US and Canada, and expanding to more birds around the world soon!
Have you ever been mystified when hearing a bird you can’t see? Merlin helps you identify birds even when you can’t see them. Record the birds you hear, and watch real-time results show up on the screen to help guide you to the correct identification.
The ability to identify bird songs and calls is powered by thousands of audio recordings in Macaulay Library, and over a billion bird sightings submitted to eBird.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent app for birdwatchers!!!
Hi guys I am a young birdwatcher and my biology teacher is teaching me how to be a great birdwatcher. So she told me to install this app and I got to learn how to use in 2 minutes!!! I wouldn’t be able to be a birdwatcher without this app!!! It is a marvellous app and I hope you enjoy it as well. I just wanted to say that could you make an update in which we can save the birds we saw before??? Also could you please update that if I don’t use this app for 5 days it will still be on??? Because one time I didn’t use the app for 5 days and I had to submit my gmail address.
I am embarrassed
I am 38 & 120 months old and I can sadly admit I have no idea what wildlife we have near me. For the first time in my life I am wondering what “Bird” or “Tree” is that. I really can not tell the difference between an Oak Tree or Birch (I had to search the internet for another name, that’s how bad I am) I have no ideas what type of seagulls are pinching my chips (Not the swear name I give it). I would love to know what types of bird of prey I have near me.
This app is Idiot Full proof. How do I know? I can use it! I take a photo or answer questions if I’m not close enough and it tells me what the possibilities are or by the photo, a match.
It has encouraged me to buy a DSLR camera and a pair of Binoculars. I am off to Scotland this weekend to see what wildlife is near my son.
I wish this was available when I was young!!
Thank you and don’t hesitate to test my review. It really is that good.
What can I say!!
If you’re a seasoned pro bird watcher or a novice, this app is perfectly suited to everyone. The gps system is top notch, being able to see what birds I’m likely to see & their individual calls, songs & detailed info & when, where you will see them, if they are resident birds or migratory. The photos are clear. You can download bird packs for different countries & what birds they have! All this in the palm of your hand!! Marvellous & I love it..
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cornell University
- 109.6 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Cornell University
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.