Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
• Added support for the iPhone X with its native resolution.
• Changed toolbar color in the preview/accessory panel – this makes it easier to distinguish the preview from the editor.
• Improved performance for switching between dark and light mode.
• The accessory panel (preview, in-app browser...) uses the same tab bar UI on iPhone and iPad now.
• Removed support for the public workflow directory. Your shared workflows will remain online for the foreseeable future, but the directory will soon become read-only. You can still share workflows using the "Copy Workflow" feature, of course, which is more flexible anyway, as it allows you to put your workflows in any plain text file.
• Fixed an issue with explanatory text in the settings being displayed incorrectly (particularly on small screens).
• Fixed footnote navigation in Markdown preview.
• Fixed table view actions not being executed in "Custom UI" workflow actions.
• Fixed a few issues with inline boneyard in Fountain documents.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I tried so many Markdown editors that I lost count. Some have a cool interface but have limited DropBox integration. Others have a terrible user interface or they use convoluted file management.
Every single time, I end up returning to Editorial. It is simple, the DropBox integration works perfectly and the customisable preview is perfect.
Compared to other editors there are a few things Editorial could do better but frankly, considering how other apps work, they are more suggestions than limitations:
- an optional, project-oriented approach to the files would be great. It would be very useful for large documents where every chapter is a file. The user interface should be able to order the files manually and produce an export based on all the files in the project.
- The export is limited to html and to PDF via a script. Ideally it should also export in ePub, DOCX and PDF natively with multiple stylesheets.
- I would like to see more configuration options in the editor: more fonts and the configuration of foreground and background colours.
As I said, these would be great but for what Editorial has been designed for, they are more icing on the cake than problems or limitations.
I recommend Editorial to anybody who needs a good Markdown editor with flawless DropBox integration and excellent preview configuration.
I love this app and have used it for a while now, the python scripting features of this application are great for workflow and make the application a joy to use. However I do have to say that this application feels somewhat neglected by the developer for example, the app has not been updated to work with the iPhone X screen size even though this has been around for a few years now. It’s a shame really but, I can see why some developers don’t want to stick with something forever.
One of the best apps by a very smart developer; still immensely useful for us who need bits of automation magic sprinkled every now and then to help make our lives better.
As so much of what we do involves text, the range of automation features within this text editor designed for helping build your workflows, including the ability to use Python in a rich way, makes this highly special.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.