Map routes with your finger and Footpath will snap to roads and trails. Measure distances and elevations in seconds, then navigate along with turn-by-turn directions.
Footpath is the ultimate companion for planning and navigating custom routes.
Join a half million adventurers and plan out your perfect route.
SNAP TO MAP
Quickly measure distances by tracing a map with your finger or Apple Pencil. Footpath will snap to roads and trails on the map.
MEASURE DISTANCE AND ELEVATION
Know exactly how far and how high you'll travel with elevation profiles. Plan routes that match your goals.
SAVE ROUTES FOR LATER
Plan out your week or trip. Keep up to 5 routes on hand for reference, or save unlimited routes with Footpath Elite.
Send your routes to friends or workout partners to open on their device.
Footpath is designed to work for pretty much any activity or adventure, in any country:
• Cycling and mountain biking
• Hiking and mountaineering
• Motorcycling and driving
• Backcountry skiing
• Kayaking and standup paddleboarding
• And many more!
Ready to go the extra mile? Upgrading to Footpath Elite unlocks the following powerful features:
- Footpath will tell you when to turn with turn-by-turn audio cues on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
- Save your route and cues in advance for voice guidance that works completely offline.
- Double tap your AirPods or use the playback controls button on your headphones to replay your next cue.
- 3D and topographic maps including OpenStreetMap-based Footpath Outdoors, OpenCycleMap, Thunderforest Outdoors, and many more.
- Cycling lanes, avalanche slope shading, and elevation contour lines.
- Unlimited saved routes
- Edit saved routes
- Organize and sort routes into custom lists
- Calendar log and weekly summary of your activity
- Analyze splits, speed, elevation, and heartrate
- Speed heatmaps
- GPX import and export
- TCX and FIT course export for turn-by-turn navigation on Garmin and Wahoo GPS devices
- Export cue sheets to a spreadsheet app for customization and printing
- Export routes and workouts to Apple Health
You can purchase a Footpath Elite montly or yearly subscription through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to the Manage Subscriptions page in settings after purchase, and your features will remain active until the end of the subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at the same cost as your original purchase.
If you do not want to purchase a subscription, you may also purchase Footpath Elite on a route-by-route basis with a Single Route Pass.
TIPS FOR MAPPING ROUTES
• For longer routes, try zooming in and mapping your route in multiple segments.
• Tap and hold the map to quickly route between waypoints and POIs.
• Did Footpath snap to the wrong roads? Trace over the incorrect segment to edit, or use the eraser tool.
• Turn off snap to roads (magnet icon) and zoom in to manually trace the map. (Try switching to a satellite layer).
• Displaying maps and continuously running GPS in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Navigate without maps or with the screen off for all day battery life.
We've got a lot planned for Footpath. If you have any suggestions or feedback, or if you run into any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Service: https://footpathapp.com/terms
- You can now share and export routes directly from the route editor (no need to save first)
- You can now enter GPS coordinates into the search bar
- In the settings: import GPX files directly from the Files app
- Fixed an issue where routes wouldn't show after downloading many offline maps
- Fixed crashes with certain activities after loading a cue sheet
Leave us a App Store review if you're enjoying Footpath, or feel free to contact us at email@example.com with any problems or suggestions.
Ratings and Reviews
Huge thanks to the devs for iPhone X support
This app is massively under rated. It is monumentally useful for anyone who wants to plan a route and then be able to export as gpx. It skips the bells and whistles but what it does, it absolutely nails. I myself am an avid hiker and i cant express just how good it is being able to sketch out a route with my finger and have it snap not just to roads, but footpaths etc.
I thought the devs might have stopped developing the app but im so happy to see its now been updated for iPhone X and the “Query limit” bug has been fixed for the ascent/descent graph.
A couple of features id love to see added are:
- ability to scan an imported gpx and automatically have it snap the route to the nearest footpaths/roads. I ask for this because i download a huge number of gpx files where the route is a little rough due to lack of waypoints. This can result in distance/altitude accuracy problems (as well as making navigation difficult occasionally). It would be wonderful if the app could sort of autocorrect this by making a best effort to snap an imported gpx to proper paths.
- better gpx editing features. For example, it would be great if you could select two waypoints, and then draw in a new section of route between them. At the moment you can only edit so far as removing the last waypoint that was added; so it would be great to have extra features in this regard.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review! We're really happy to hear that Footpath has been helpful to you for hiking.
To your other points: Footpath 3 made it much easier to edit your routes or imported GPX files—we added an eraser tool and the ability to trace over the existing route to snap to different paths.
We're still playing around with a feature that lets you snap an imported GPX file to roads, so stay tuned :).
Fabulous walking-route creator!
I love this app! At first, I wasn’t sure how it’d be useful and I continued to rely on other apps that have pre-set walks. But living on a boat on the inland waterways and moving continuously, I soon realised how much more useful this app is. Wherever I am, I can easily create walking routes that utilise roads, footpaths and bridleways and edit them to give me the length of walk I want. The detail is amazing with every odd little bit of footpath logged so I can join them up into intricate routes. The fun thing is that, unlike the typical well-trodden pathways of most walking apps, you have no idea what to expect with these - some overgrown, some through fields with donkeys or cows, some across rail tracks (small recognised crossings) and so each walk feels like a micro-adventure!! Also very easy to use, edit and save routes. One of my favourite apps! 🏆🏆
Truly a great app
Terrific app for planning a bike route or a hike. Allows access to Opencycle maps plus Googlemaps, street, satellite plus others. A few things that I really like are the 'snap to road/path' facility, the hill contours and a nifty button to show the elevation through the route. I also love the facility to export geo files to use in other apps (through 'open in) or to import into other devices. I tend to plan a route using Footpath, then 'share' a gpx file with the Bike Hub app through 'open in' for spoken route instructions to my destination. Finally my routes are automatically uploaded into iCloud, so I can create the route on my big screen iPad and view it and use it on my iPhone. Great stuff.
- Half Mile Labs LLC
- 113.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- ©2019 Half Mile Labs LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Footpath Elite (Monthly) £3.49
- Footpath Elite (Yearly) £21.49
- Single Route Pass £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.