Track the carbon intensity of the GB electricity grid on your iPhone or iPad
Demand for electricity varies throughout the day, and thus, the mix of generators supplying this electricity continually changes. As a result, the carbon intensity of the electricity – the quantity of CO2 produced for 1 kWh of electricity consumed – also varies continually. Deferring your use of electricity to off-peak times, when the carbon intensity is low, can help reduce your carbon footprint.
- Data updated every 5 minutes.
- Display of instantaneous carbon intensity (gCO2/kWh).
- Traffic light indicator to highlight period of low and high carbon intensity.
- Generation mix summary showing total and percentage supply by type.
- Line plot showing carbon intensity over the previous 24 hours.
- Interactive bar chart showing the generation mix over the previous 24 hours.
Update to use new Sheffield Solar API.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great summary of energy generation
As someone who takes an interest in low carbon electricity generation, this app is a great way to get a quick insight into what's currently powering the UK grid.
Love the new solar estimate - keep up the great work!
Engaging and thought-provoking
A simple app for observing the ever-changing landscape of UK electricity generation/supply. In schools, pupils respond very well to the 'live' data and can see that recent changes, such as increased solar and offshore wind, frequently provide substantial chunks of our power needs. I look forward to seeing the App keep up with change, such as the new inter-connectors with Norway and France.
I’ve had loads of interest when I’ve shared how much we’re getting from sustainable sources.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.