Welcome to How It Works, the magazine that explains everything you never knew you wanted to know about the world we live in. Covering science, technology, history, space, transport and the environment, no subject is too big or small for How It Works to explain.
What you’ll find in every issue:
• Global Eye – the latest news, developments and events from the world of science, technology and space
• Amazing images – each issue is loaded with fantastic cutaways, illustrations and photography
• Features – How It Works’ articles explain the most fascinating subjects and topics in an exciting way that everyone can understand
• Brain Dump – get the answers to all your burning 'how and why' questions answered in our reader Q&A section
• How To – your guide to fun experiments and projects to try out at home
Join thousands of others and download our free app now!
Once you’ve downloaded our app, you will need to take a free trial or purchase a single issue or subscription to access our in-depth content. We also publish specials and guides - browse our publications, read what interests you most, and get inspired.
Back issues, specials, and future issues are available for purchase within the app. Subscriptions are available on various monthly and annual terms, and auto-renew until you decide to cancel it. Check inside the app for current pricing.
*** Please Note: Our digital edition is not printable and does not include the covermount items or supplements you would find with the print edition ***
• The free trial offer is only available to new subscribers. If you have previously subscribed then payment will be taken immediately.
• You can cancel at any time during the free trial period and you will not be charged. Simply turn off auto-renew in your Apple account subscriptions page at least 24 hours before the auto-renew is due.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for that product.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase .
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. This does not affect your statutory rights.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
The subscription will include the current issue if you don't already own it and subsequently published future issues for the duration of your subscription period.
We got the feather duster out, squashed some bugs and added support for newer devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Be aware, my wife bought a subscription to this mag, but despite having family sharing turned on, and it previously being accessible, the app no longer seems to support family sharing.
Very disappointing, I was enjoying the content.
Superficial overview of subjects.
Magazines skim the surface of topics without going into much depth.
We need to try it out
The problem with many magazine offerings on iOS (and all the other platforms), is that the interface can be tediously slow and the layout, dull and unimaginative. We really require these days to have a sample version to move through and test.
I think I would enjoy a good number of these issues but…
a. I have no idea what is included in each magazine
b. I feel reluctant to pay for a random issue, only to be disappointed by the same old scanned PDF offering all over again (it may be brilliant, but how do I know?).
So, please provide a sample few pages to view and include an index to the subjects covered in the various issues. Thanks.
Oh… and by the way, sure you can orient to landscape mode for a static preview (although it wasn't clearly mentioned), but that is no indication of the interactivity within the magazine itself. Also, the contents page is far too tiny to be legible.
I think this typifies the problem with the thinking surrounding mobile development. These are not magazines, they are something different. Delivering the same content, albeit digital, in the same format is not the answer. Magazines are tactile. It's about the glossy pages and scanning from one page to the next. It's not possible to do that on a tablet without panning, swiping and zooming. It's a lot of work for not much reward. You have all this extra power at your disposal, so use it. Make the page dance.
- Imagine Publishing
- 54.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Future Publishing Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- How It Works: Issue 26 £3.99
- How It Works: Issue 25 £3.99
- How It Works: Issue 24 £3.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.