“Leaving life’s mess for an ideal realm of words.” —The New Yorker
“My favorite iOS app for writing in Markdown, without question, is iA Writer. iA Writer is just beautiful. To me, it’s the gold standard for Markdown syntax styling... an elegant champagne flute. That’s iA Writer for me.” —John Gruber
“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” —The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” —The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” —WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds.
When you tap and hold a key in the command keyboard, you’re given the chance to choose your own layout. Rearrange your keys, or pick new ones from the extensive list.
You can open documents and launch frequent actions in no time with the new Quick Search. It lives in the keyboard so it’s always close at hand.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 6:
- Wikilinks make it easy to connect, browse, and rediscover your writing
- A [[wikilink]] is a link from one text file to another
- To make a wikilink, just type [[ and the name of the file you would like to link
- Autocomplete suggests files from your Library
- Open the linked file using the Open Link button in the keyboard bar, ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- If the file doesn’t exist, it’ll be automatically created and ready to type
# Navigation History
- Navigation history keeps track of the files you recently opened using wikilinks, Library, or Quick Search
- To go back and forward on iPhone, swipe right or left anywhere in the document
- To go back and forward on iPad, swipe right or left with two fingers anywhere in the document on screen
- Or hold ⌘ and swipe right or left on a trackpad
# Lightning Menu
- Fast access to your favorite formatting commands and features, right from the keyboard bar
- Available starting with iOS and iPadOS 15
- Fully configurable in Keyboard settings
# Split Preview on iPad
- Added ability to show Preview side-by-side with Editor
- Enable in the Preview appearance menu
- Scrolls in sync by default, configurable in Interface settings
# Hashtag Improvements
- Hashtags can be now added anywhere in text
- Autocomplete suggests hashtags as you type
- Consistent styling for hashtags and other links
- Show a hashtag in Quick Search using the Open Link button in the keyboard bar, ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- All web links and email addresses are automatically detected
- Open a link in browser or compose a new email using the Open Link button in the keyboard bar, ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- Control how wikilinks, hashtags, and autolinks are exported in Markdown settings
# Content Block Improvements
- To add a content block, type / at the beginning of a line and the name of the file you would like to include
- Autocomplete suggests files from your Library
- A path to a file is no longer required. Filename-only content blocks automatically find the nearest matching file
- Open a text content block using the Open Link button in the keyboard bar, ⌘-click, or ⌘⏎
- If the content block file doesn’t exist, it’ll be automatically created and ready to type
- All-new metadata engine enables powerful new features
- Provide variables to text content blocks, width and height attributes to image content blocks
- Supports Markdown in metadata variables
- Define global metadata in Markdown settings
# Look and Feel
- Completed tasks are faded and crossed-out
- All-new highlight colors: yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and green
- Choose your favorite highlight color and configure completed task appearance in Editor settings
# Editor Improvements
- Editor automatically inserts closing brackets
- Select text and type an opening bracket to wrap selection in matching brackets
- Added indent width setting
- Changed strikethrough shortcut to ⌥⌘U
- Changed highlight shortcut to ⇧⌘U
- Changed code shortcut to ⌘J
- Added code block command with shortcut ⇧⌘J
- Disabled spell checking, autocorrection, autocapitalization, and smart punctuation in code
- Set up ⌘E shortcut to use selection for find
- Changed shortcut to mark task as completed to ⌥⌘X
- Redesigned find bar works much better with hardware keyboards, and provides direct access to matching style and case sensitivity on iOS and iPadOS 15
# Other Improvements
- Changed Library shortcut to ⌃⌘S
- Task list items are searchable with Smart Folders and Quick Search using [ ] and [x]
- Added ability to show and sort by date created in Library
- Added fuzzy Library Path matching to Quick Search
- Added an option to always show Editor and Preview toolbars, configurable in Interface settings
- Deleted folders and files are moved to Recently Deleted in Files app starting with iOS and iPadOS 14
- Integrated system menus on iOS and iPadOS 15
Ratings and Reviews
When we want to hunker down and type without distraction, one of our favourite resources is iA Writer. Substantially updated since its initial release, this writing app offers a customisable keyboard, selective text highlighting, iCloud sync and many other features we’ve come to depend on. Plus, a streamlined interface lets you simply swipe left to preview a document and swipe right to access your library. The entire experience is designed to be quick and easy so you can focus on your work.
Everything beautifully considered
ia Writer has been through a long-term process of refinement and improvement, and it shows. This and the macOS application work really well together and have a pretty solid equivalence in the range of features, from typography and appearance to document management. I’ve finally settled on this (as opposed to a number of other Markdown/text editors I’ve looked at) as my main writing tool.
One of the reasons this works so well is that you can send documents to ia Writer, edit them, and have them synced back to the source applications (whether Files, DTTG, Working Copy, or any one of a whole set of storage providing applications on iOS). You’re not forced to keep things within it’s own silo, like most other editors seem to want you to - though it does provide a storage space in iCloud that syncs with the macOS version, when you need it.
It’s good looking, well-integrated, minimal when it needs to be yet comprehensive and feature-packed when you need it to be. You can tell this application has a solid heritage and is the best distraction-free, plain text editors in the App Store. Highly recommended!
Has great, relevant search function, the fonts are laid out just right
The distraction-free mantra is really engineered here so that the fonts actually put you in the zone of wanting to have that one word after another rendered so beautifully, that you just keep typing more and more. Beautifully done and very functional at the same time. Search has an unobtrusive, subdued interface too, but it is very precise and sensitive to pick out relevant notes not just by headings, but their actual content, which enables you to easily resurface notes you only vaguely remember anything about quickly.
Perhaps the ability to turn on a simple outline view on the side, to jump across headings even more easily and quickly would be nice in the future, but you should definitely buy this now and support these hard-working people at full price, because they fairly don’t charge a subscription.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the absolutely glowing review. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the app and we appreciate your strong recommentation and support! ☺️
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Information Architects AG
- 54.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2010–2023 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.