Need to listen to printed text spoken aloud - at school, in a test or exam, at work or at home? Use Claro ScanPen to photo your printed text document, letter, test paper - then select the text with your finger or a stylus pen, and hear it spoken straight back to you. Instantly! No internet connection required.
Claro ScanPen Premium is free to use for either 10 scans, or for 14 days when you sign up to the annual auto-renewing subscription (which you're free to cancel at any time). When you have an active subscription you can download as many premium voices as you need for no extra cost. Our premium voices are currently Nuance Vocalizer and Acapela. If you want to purchase ScanPen outright and buy any extra voices, search the App Store for our standard version called "Claro ScanPen".
Claro ScanPen advances read aloud support. It gives access to printed text materials, exam papers and documents for all, in a wide range of languages. Using your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, simply:
• Take a photo of the text or select a photo of the text document from your camera roll.
• Highlight with your finger or stylus which section of text you want to hear spoken to you.
• Listen as Claro ScanPen instantly reads the text back to you using a human quality voice in a language of your choice.
With your finger (or stylus) you can highlight all of the text, word by word or line by line. Tap anywhere to stop the speech. Claro ScanPen can also be used with the built in iOS VoiceOver accessibility feature, allowing low vision and blind users to access text.
Claro ScanPen app has no access to the internet or any reference material like dictionary or thesaurus, so is perfect to use as a read aloud tool under exam and test conditions, helping students who cannot read text very well (e.g. students with dyslexia) to listen to the exam test paper questions and information. It can also be used for quickly converting class handout materials, printed presentations, instructions, books - in fact anything containing printed texts. Great for independent access and learning.
Claro ScanPen uses the latest premium Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology to convert your picture into text and uses iOS system voices to read the text back to you. The OCR in Claro ScanPen fully supports the recognition of text in the following languages:
Simply select the voice that matches the language of your text to hear it read back correctly. Claro ScanPen is a great addition to the popular Claro Reading and Writing support apps ClaroSpeak and ClaroPDF.
Claro ScanPen does not require internet access to function and does not store any photographs taken within the ScanPen App. Explore using the Apple iOS Guided Access feature to lock the iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone into a single app, for more secure and controlled usage. Tap iOS Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access to set up Guided Access.
***Minimum camera spec: 2MP***
If you require any product support please email us at email@example.com.
• Purchase an annual subscription for £9.99 (correct as of September 2017) to use ScanPen with unlimited number of scans and ability to download and use our full range of premium TTS voices.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• The subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• The app offers a free 14 day free trial. At the end of the trial period, the full price of the subscription will be charged. Cancellations must occur 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 for more information.
Fixes a bug with the photos from library sometimes being imported in the wrong order.
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Claro Software Limited
- 93.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Claro Software Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Subscribe for 1 Year £9.99
- Iveta £1.79
- Sara £1.79
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.