Selected by Apple as Best of 2014, and winner of the 2015 Digital Book Award for Best Nonfiction App.
Bestselling author Professor Ian Stewart is your guide through Incredible Numbers. Numbers define the patterns of sunflowers; they bring pleasure through music; and they help us answer existential questions like; ‘How many ways are there to lace my shoes?’ Interactive examples – from simple equations to a working Enigma machine – put the beautiful concepts behind mathematics at your fingertips.
“A measure of Ian Stewart’s success is that he’s able to give a clear path through some very hairy mathematics.” – Times Higher Education Supplement
There’s so much more than a few screenshots can show:
– 23 articles crafted by Prof. Ian Stewart, embedded with 71 groundbreaking interactive demonstrations.
– 23 bespoke interactive sections that let you immerse yourself in the beautiful patterns and concepts behind each topic.
– 15 of Ian Stewart’s famous mathematical puzzles.
• Infinity – Explore infinity and understand what it really means to say something is infinite.
• Pi – Unwrap the mysteries of pi to see why this strange number is so important and why it’s not just about circles.
• Music – Music and math share the beauty of finding patterns in complexity. Detailed interactives show you how they relate in real, meaningful and fun ways.
• Codes – See how the power of numbers can unlock complexity in codes.
• Nature – See how numbers work in nature by looking at the Fibonacci sequence and how it appears in the real world in beautiful and surprising ways.
• Primes – Discover the mysterious patterns in prime numbers, and why they are so important.
• Polygons – Get to grips with shapes and polygons. Classical geometry is just another way to think about numbers!
• Factorials – How many ways can you lace your shoes? Did you know that if you have 4 eyelets, there are 24 possible lacing styles? With 12 eyelets there are 479,001,600 possibilities. See why this is so in Factorials!
Incredible Numbers aspires to convince you that maths is beautiful. Mathematicians know this already. The great solutions and proofs shine to them, but their underlying beauty has been hidden behind abstract algebra and complex equations. Until now.
If you enjoy this app, don’t forget to rate it in the App Store.
Bug fixes and optimisations.
Ratings and Reviews
An innovative and refreshing take on mathematics
This app brings to life some astounding ideas and concepts. I was pleased to see Ian Stewart on full form, with his text brought to life by amazing interactive content. At no point did this in any way feel like a text book, as you get immersed in beautiful demonstrations that look great whilst also helping you understand the maths. This is very good at making at complex ideas easy to understand for anyone with the slightest knowledge of maths.
A must have for any Ian Stewart fan, along with anyone wanting to find out what maths is all about.
A beautiful exploration of mathematics
I haven't had much chance to experiment with maths since school, and I'm surprised to say I missed it. This app is a beautiful exploration of the more exciting, and as it turns out more fundamental, aspects of maths that they just don't tell you about at school. I was worried that I might not be mathematically minded enough to enjoy this app, but stunning visualisations and interactivity make even the more complex ideas easy to understand.
Brilliant guide to maths
I am a fan of Ian Stewart and so was excited to learn about this app. I downloaded it this morning and was not disappointed. It's a fun guide to some clever ideas and it makes everything very clear. The demonstrations that you can play with in the app make explaining some of the trickier ideas much easier.
I can't recommend this highly enough!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.