Zoomed ink, PDF markup, photos, shapes, typed text, folders and tagging, extensive AirPlay control, and much more.
The latest upgrade of one of the first note taking apps designed specifically for the Apple iPad and now also available for the Apple iPhone, Note Taker HD has long been known as a powerful and stable application for writing and organizing handwritten notes and diagrams.
Note Taker HD can also be used to annotate PDF files. It can shrink your writing so you can easily fit a lot of text on a page. You can read the reduced-size "ink" as if you had written those letters with a very fine pen. It gives you solid functionality and control to produce the pages you need.
Documents are flexibly organized by tags, date/time last modified, favorites, and more, with a scrolling list of thumbnail images of part of each page to help you find them later. You can email one or more pages as a single PDF file, "Open In" other apps, or, if your device supports it, print.
Note Taker HD lets you create pages by writing on the screen with your finger or an iPad/iPhone-compatible stylus. You can either write directly on the page for large drawings, or have the "ink" you write shrunk down. You can write in large letters on the screen rather than trying to make tiny motions like a pencil. You just keep writing and Note Taker HD automatically adds new writing next to the old. To quickly correct mistakes, it has multi-level undo and redo buttons as well as an eraser -- just drag your finger over the page to erase the "ink" under it.
You can zoom in and out on a page using the pinch gesture while viewing or editing. The Zoomed Editing window lets you see both a zoomed-out overview and a zoomed-in close-up writing area at the same time.
You can use "Open In" in other apps send PDF files to Note Taker HD for annotation.
Other features include:
- Pages organized into documents and folders
- Typed blocks of text with optional borders
- 60+ highly customizable shapes
- Insert and crop images from Photo Albums, Pasteboard, or the iPad/iPhone camera
- Custom backgrounds from images or PDF pages
- Free templates and clip art on the support web site
- VGA/HDMI/AirPlay support with zoom, pan, and a moveable pointer
- Wrist guard to avoid inadvertent touches
- Layout variations better suited to some left-handed users
- Optional fields in output footers like in a word processor
- Extensive built-in help
- Smooth and crisp ink on screen and in PDF output
- Share editable copies of your documents with others
- Backup to a single file for off-iPad/iPhone storage
- Password protected folders
- Support for the iOS Data Protection API
- Support for languages written right-to-left
- Full-screen preview mode
- Automatic advance and auto-return in zoomed editing
- Copy/Cut/Paste between pages, rotate/resize ink
Note Taker HD was designed and programmed by Dan Bricklin, the same person who over 40 years ago came up with VisiCalc, the pioneering electronic spreadsheet that made working with numbers on a personal computer so easy.
To see it in action, click on the Support link here or go directly to www.notetakerhd.com.
7.0.0 was a major upgrade, mostly related to new support for iPhone as well as iPad Split View and screen sizes different than the original iPad. 7.0.1 adds wrist guard functionality in Zoomed Editing when the screen is narrow, fixes a bug with Selection Mode options, and also fixes an infrequent intermittent crash during Output.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I am a software architect. I have used "paper based" day books since I began my career. I had a hope that my iPad would replace the day book. I tried every note taking App and none of them cut it for me. My hope of using an iPad to replace my day book had faded.
Then I tried this App. Totally turned around. In the space of a few days, I have scanned in entries from my day book covering the last Quarter. Not only can I replace my day book, I can do things with it that I had never thought of before.
Brilliant App. It sets the bar. It does a lot and no doubt there are more features that can be added. I would like to vote for doc and html import. Plus can I beg the following enhancements:
1) Cloud enabled - store and share your notes in the Cloud, access from any device ringing NotetakerHD
2) Add some UML to the shapes palette
3) Add some BPMN shapes to the shapes palette
For (2) and (3) I would happily write an import to a software development tool - RSA
Brilliant App, rooms for improving and catching up
I agree with the recent reviews so won't repeat. Have been using for a long time and remains one of the best note taking and editing apps on the store.
I give it a four star now because as a priority, it needs to catch up with the rest of the world and get cloud enabled for storage access, to back up and use files on other devices.
Could also do with a facelift, starting to look very dated. Ok for those who like the rustic feel but for most I am sure a sharp slick new interface would be welcome.
Minor point: concave-sided icon
Good app, but please would you update the icon so the sides are not concave.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.