Orbot is the original free and open-source Tor-powered VPN for iOS and macOS. Orbot helps you access the internet with more safety and privacy, and no extra cost to you.
- Browse the internet over Tor.
- Secure your traffic from insecure wireless networks and ISPs.
- Access .onion sites that are only accessible over Tor.
- Web browsing is much slower than through a normal VPN because your traffic is encrypted and relayed through the Tor network.
- Orbot might not work on networks with advanced network restrictions. If the app does not connect, try using bridges (or a different type of bridge).
- Use of Orbot is at your own risk; remember that sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device.
** Orbot is free and open-source software. You can read more about Orbot and how to support development of Tor on iOS by visiting orbot.app **
- Added Croatian translation.
- Updated Spanish translation.
- Updated Snowflake to latest version 2.7.0.
- Fixed Snowflake AMP support.
- Updated Tor to latest version 0.4.8.7.
- Show new circuit type "CONFLUX_LINKED" in circuits list.
Ratings and Reviews
App usually works great!
Only issue I’m facing right now is I can’t use the VPN as whenever I press connect, it disconnects my phone from my WIFI connection, and also does not work with data, checked for an update and there is not one, I assume this issue is common looking at the reviews and the fact I’ve never had any issues with it before this, hope next update fixes
Open-source projects win!
Thank you all for taking the time to make an app that primarily works, but also is genuinely free without hidden payment walls or adverts!
For those that don’t know, this adds VPN settings to the device and then connects via Tor. You then have to use a separate browser app of choice to surf the network (but obviously, make sure you look after the privacy settings). DuckDuckGo has its own .onion address you can try to see that the connection is working.
The connection is slow, but faster than the usual free VPN and Tor is usually slow due to all the hoops the data has to jump through.
Didn’t work with onion browser and broke my phone (until uninstalled)
Made to download it by onion browser. Didn’t work, wouldn’t connect. Then caused all internet to fail (4G and wifi) all day until I realised and uninstalled (instantly fixing internet issues). So they’ve broken Onion browser and made it unusable, and forced people to download some additional app which doesn’t work for it’s intended purpose, but also disables all internet on your phone until you uninstall it… good job guys. The onion browser app was fine how it was. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Tor Project, Inc
- 38.1 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Croatian, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © 2023 The Tor Project, Inc