Piano Companion is a music theory app which helps songwriters, producers, teachers and their students. It’s a flexible piano chords and scales dictionary with user libraries, reverse mode, the circle of 5ths, chord progression builder with common patterns. If you can’t remember the name of a piano chord or scale, this app helps you to find it by keys or using your external MIDI keyboard. For example, just press C, G and you will get C Major as the first piano chord in the search result. If you don’t see a piano chord or a specific scale, you can create a custom piano chord or scale and use it for chord charts or your user library.
The Piano Companion app shows chord and scale notes on the grand staff, degrees, relative scales, intervals, fingering for both hands in major and minor scales – and you can contribute your own custom fingering too. You can practice scales in different keys and clefs, practice progressions. Additionally, you can listen to how a scale or chord sounds in the loop or arpeggiated. You can see the list of compatible chords in the selected scale or list of compatible scales for a selected chord.
The app helps you to compose, practice progressions and experiment with different chord progressions using our Chord Progression Builder with relative or common chords.
- 1500+ piano chords, up to 6th inversions such as major, minor, diminished, augmented, sevenths, etc.
- 10,000+ scales, such as Ionian (major), Aeolian (minor), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Harmonic minor, Melodic Minor, chromatic, pentatonic, blues, etc.
- Chord Progression builder with scale patterns (chord sequencer)
- Interactive Circle of Fifths with grand staff and relative scales
- Ability to input your own custom chords and organize your own chord charts and library
- External MIDI keyboard support for reverse mode
- MIDI output (iOS) with the ability to connect your favorite DAW (Ableton, Garage Band, etc.) with Piano Companion
- List of available chords in Circle of Fifths, practice common chords.
- Popular key notations: English, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc.
- Shows chord and scale in different octaves on the grand staff with treble and bass clef
- Displays compatible scales’ chords
- Displays similar and relative scales
- Analytical labels: Secondary Dominant and Secondary Leading-Tone
- Common degrees: Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, Leading tone (in Major scale) / Subtonic (in Natural Minor Scale)
- Displays compatible chords’ scales
- Ability to create custom chords or modify existing ones
- Audio support: the ability to play a chord in the loop or arpeggio; ability to play a scale in the loop
- Arpeggio in the chord progressions
- Relative scale suggestions
- Relative chords in chord progressions
- You can create your own scale fingering and have the ability to use community scale fingerings
- User libraries with the ability to add scale or chord
- You can create your own chord libraries and chord charts
- Ability to create favorite scales
- Chord Intervals: Unison, Perfect Fifth, Major Third, Minor Third, etc.
Prompt support from the Piano Companion Team is guaranteed! We would also be happy to hear your suggestions for Piano Companion.
Follow us on
Have questions? Community forum: http://forums.songtive.com or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy to announce that Piano Companion became part of our Songtive Community. That means that you have the ability to contribute progressions so other users will be able to vote and reuse them in their creations.
You are not restricted to chords or arpeggios. You can create your own Patterns and assign them to each chord. The pattern could be shared in Songtive Community as well as a chord progression.
Feel free to let me know your thoughts and please rate app - each vote is very important for us! Your feedback keeps us motivated to continue development.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Just what I needed
Excellent app with many uses and great features.
A must for any level of musician.
I love this!!! Does exactly what I need and is a must for any musician.
It has helped me loads already in the studio when composing tracks.
Keep up the great work.
One thing I wish it had...(but maybe it's for a brand new app instead) was the ability to somehow be linked to siri, so It could actually train your ears to keys, scales and chords by way of almost being like an interactive app/audiobook game!!!, where for instance in one excercise, a note would play then you could respond via siri as to which note you thought it was, siri would then respond with the answer as to whether it is correct or not. Eventually training your ears to recognising notes then chords then keys and scales....just a thought for another app maybe? It'd be great to get something like this and to my knowledge there isn't anything out there at the moment that can offer such versatility.... So maybe a market to be taken???!!
Superb app. Helping me begin learning music theory and keyboard playing. Best app I've ever bought!!
In two weeks this app took me from zero musical knowledge to understanding and building my knowledge to a point that I'm so happy about. I will be a keyboard player with practice and this as my reference for looking up things I'm not sure about.
Along with a book on music theory, Wikipedia, a learning keyboard book and this app I understand so much.
The scales section is so useful, I can look at a scale onscreen in any key and be playing it in less than a minute, building confidence. Learning blues 7th chords? No problem. All here to find and refer to anywhere. Not sure of a relative minor? It's here.
- Songtive SIA
- 118.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Songtive
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.