Piano Companion is a music theory app which helps songwriters, producers, teachers and their students. It’s a flexible piano chords and scales dictionary with user libraries, reverse mode, the circle of 5ths, chord progression builder with common patterns. If you can’t remember the name of a piano chord or scale, this app helps you to find it by keys or using your external MIDI keyboard. For example, just press C, G and you will get C Major as the first piano chord in the search result. If you don’t see a piano chord or a specific scale, you can create a custom piano chord or scale and use it for chord charts or your user library.
The Piano Companion app shows chord and scale notes on the grand staff, degrees, relative scales, intervals, fingering for both hands in major and minor scales – and you can contribute your own custom fingering too. You can practice scales in different keys and clefs, practice progressions. Additionally, you can listen to how a scale or chord sounds in the loop or arpeggiated. You can see the list of compatible chords in the selected scale or list of compatible scales for a selected chord.
The app helps you to compose, practice progressions and experiment with different chord progressions using our Chord Progression Builder with relative or common chords.
- 1500+ piano chords, up to 6th inversions such as major, minor, diminished, augmented, sevenths, etc.
- 10,000+ scales, such as Ionian (major), Aeolian (minor), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Harmonic minor, Melodic Minor, chromatic, pentatonic, blues, etc.
- Chord Progression builder with scale patterns (chord sequencer)
- Interactive Circle of Fifths with grand staff and relative scales
- Ability to input your own custom chords and organize your own chord charts and library
- External MIDI keyboard support for reverse mode
- MIDI output (iOS) with the ability to connect your favorite DAW (Ableton, Garage Band, etc.) with Piano Companion
- List of available chords in Circle of Fifths, practice common chords.
- Popular key notations: English, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc.
- Shows chord and scale in different octaves on the grand staff with treble and bass clef
- Displays compatible scales’ chords
- Displays similar and relative scales
- Analytical labels: Secondary Dominant and Secondary Leading-Tone
- Common degrees: Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, Leading tone (in Major scale) / Subtonic (in Natural Minor Scale)
- Displays compatible chords’ scales
- Ability to create custom chords or modify existing ones
- Audio support: the ability to play a chord in the loop or arpeggio; ability to play a scale in the loop
- Arpeggio in the chord progressions
- Relative scale suggestions
- Relative chords in chord progressions
- You can create your own scale fingering and have the ability to use community scale fingerings
- User libraries with the ability to add scale or chord
- You can create your own chord libraries and chord charts
- Ability to create favorite scales
- Chord Intervals: Unison, Perfect Fifth, Major Third, Minor Third, etc.
Prompt support from the Piano Companion Team is guaranteed! We would also be happy to hear your suggestions for Piano Companion.
Follow us on
Have questions? Community forum: http://forums.songtive.com or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff/Keyboard can be magnified in settings: 1x, 2x, 3x
You can turn off MIDI output.
Fixed issue with Search scale by name.
Added Airbuds support.
Love our app? Please rate us - each vote is very important for us! Your feedback keeps us motivated to continue development.
Ratings and Reviews
Just what I needed
Excellent app with many uses and great features.
Good but disappointing features
Really enjoyed using the app BUT when I changed computers it wouldn’t let me go back to the pro app neither would it let me buy it again. I couldn’t get hold of anyone to resolve the issue. Really poor snag considering how good the app could actually be!
Developer Response ,
Sorry to hear that! Feel free to contact us: email@example.com we are eager to help you. Additionally please check our FAQ page on how to restore purchase: https://blog.songtive.com/faq/pianocompanion/general/restoring-purchases/
A must for any level of musician.
I love this!!! Does exactly what I need and is a must for any musician.
It has helped me loads already in the studio when composing tracks.
Keep up the great work.
One thing I wish it had...(but maybe it's for a brand new app instead) was the ability to somehow be linked to siri, so It could actually train your ears to keys, scales and chords by way of almost being like an interactive app/audiobook game!!!, where for instance in one excercise, a note would play then you could respond via siri as to which note you thought it was, siri would then respond with the answer as to whether it is correct or not. Eventually training your ears to recognising notes then chords then keys and scales....just a thought for another app maybe? It'd be great to get something like this and to my knowledge there isn't anything out there at the moment that can offer such versatility.... So maybe a market to be taken???!!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Songtive SIA
- 119.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Songtive
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.