Designed for iPad
Quarta is an original digital board game with a unique generative soundtrack, designed and created by Kennerspiel des Jahres nominated game designer Brett J. Gilbert and musician, software designer and Bloom co-creator Peter Chilvers.
Two players take turns to place tiles, build areas of coloured ‘quarta’s, and claim those areas to control the three colours. Each game lasts only a few minutes, and is played until the tiles fill a 5×5 square. The winner is the player who controls the most colours at the end of the game.
But Quarta is also something more. As you play, Quarta creates a totally unique piece of music – an individual soundtrack for every game – driven by the arrangement of areas built by the players.
"Both challenging to the mind and relaxing at the same time, the perfect form of gaming." AppAdvice
• Designed for digital: A brand new two-player tile game created especially for iOS.
• Simple, engaging gameplay: Tutorial gets you playing in 60 seconds. A game takes a few minutes.
• Unique generative soundtrack: A new piece of music created every time you play.
• Sophisticated, dynamic AI: In ‘Solo’ mode, players will discover a strong, adaptive AI opponent, which refines its play as they improve and provides a satisfying opponent for even the most experienced players.
• Listen mode: In ‘Listen’ mode players can simply watch and enjoy a unique piece of generative music.
ABOUT THE CREATORS
Brett J. Gilbert (game design & visual design) is a professional game designer. His first board game, Divinare, published by Asmodee in 2012, was recommended by the Spiel des Jahres 2013 jury. Elysium, published in 2015 by Space Cowboys, has been nominated for the Kennerspiel des Jahres award. Quarta is his first digital game.
Peter Chilvers (iOS development & soundtrack design) is a musician and software designer. Best known for creating the iOS apps Bloom, Trope and Scape with Brian Eno, he has also toured with Karl Hyde (Underworld) and recorded a number of albums with vocalist Tim Bowness.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple to learn but compelling, and the AI adapts as you get better to keep things challenging. The soundtrack adapts to the game board as your game goes on, which works incredibly well (although an excellent game even with the sound off!)
Love this game. Easy to learn, but soon gets tricky. Crisp graphics, soothing music, interesting gameplay ... What more could you ask.
Excellent original boardgame
Beautifully presented, with lots of replayability. The AI adapts and improves to keep the challenge fresh.
The developer, Opal Limited, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Opal Limited
- 30.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Opal Limited 2015
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.