The RNIB Navigator is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users.
Unique to RNIB Navigator:
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• There are three choices for POI data (Apple, Foursquare, and OSM).
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest, intersections, and heading changes are automatically announced.
• Ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 9.0 or later.
RNIB Navigator uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Supported Maps: U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Ger-many, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Lithuania, Argentina. Not all countries have full intersection descriptions.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/airaio
The RNIB Navigator continues to evolve with new features and improvements thanks to Aira Tech Corp.
This release includes:
Fixed an issue where users could not create routes to Aira Access Points.
Ratings and Reviews
Very good, but...
I've been using this app for a while, but since updating to iOS 13.2, its been just crashing on launch, so I cannot use it. This is very sad for me.
Doesn't work with 13.2
This was my go to navigation app but since updating to IOS 13.2 the app simply crashes on launch. Uninstalling and reinstalling won't work. Force restart won't work. I see that someone else is experiencing exactly the same problem and has documented it in a review too. Unless the developer fixes this there's obviously quite a risk with installing this app.
This app has come along way
I haven’t used this app for three years but thought I would give it a go. Integration with Google Maps is fantastic and the app is working really well. If you haven’t given it a go, I definitely recommend trying the free one month trial.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Aira Tech Corp
- 84.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Hebrew, Serbian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 Sendero Group LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Thirty Day £5.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.