SoundScaper is an experimental sound mini lab for creating unusual soundscapes, atmospheric textures, drones, glitches and noises based on circuit bending principles.
With this application you can easily experiment with creating new and unusual sounds from ordinary samples. For sound designers and those interested in creating ambient or experimental electronic music, with filtering and mixing of up to three oscillators, you can create excellent soundscapes, textures and drones for your music or for movie soundtrack or entertainment apps and games. With complete MIDI control this application is very comfortable and powerful instrument to use for real-time sound creation and live improvisation.
The oscillators, based on simulating schematics of actual 8 bit lofi sound playback chips, have circuit bending like controls that are ideal for making glitches, noises, crackles and granular sounds. Combined with the filtering and spatial mixing options, you can expand these sounds to deep and atmospheric textures. Finally you can add motion and continuous changes to your sounds via low frequency oscillators which can control the filter and mixer parameters.
The "Morphing scene" option gives you ability of smooth switching between scenes, applying multifunctional filters and changing oscillators parameters during morphing process. Using these features you can add a new dimension to the existing scenes varying them in the real time.
- Three sample-based oscillators with control based on circuit bending principles.
- Three Low / High / Band - pass filters and two range delay for each oscillator.
- Spatial mixer / reverb with side and distance for each sound source.
- Three low frequency oscillators for automation mixer and filters.
- Possibility of generating parameters for each oscillator automatically.
- Scenes for storing all parameters of oscillators, filters and mixer.
- Morphing with smooth switching between scenes and additional effects in real-time.
- Built-in library of natural samples grouped by categories.
- Set of ready-to-use presets for oscillators.
- Advanced control panel for all faders and rotary knobs with large controls.
- Individual equalizer and reverb options for each sound source in the spatial mixer.
- Complete MIDI control for all faders, knobs and most other elements.
- Uploading samples through Dropbox, Web access, clipboard and from other apps.
- Different color schemes available for the user interface.
- Detailed application description (also in signle PDF on application site).
- Supports Audiobus 3 with "State Saving" and MIDI features.
- Inter-App audio compatible.
Fourth generation of iPad and higher is recommended (especially with Inter-app audio and Audiobus).
You can find more details about SoundScaper on application site:
This update improves compatibility with new devices with different aspect ratios and compatibility with new versions of iOS. Also added support for bluetooth midi controllers, the sound engine has been slightly optimized and the description of the app has been updated.
Ratings and Reviews
This dev is incredible.... I have this and FieldScaper and they both genuinely utilise the iOS interface in a way that feels like they break new ground in terms of instrument/fx interfaces. Beautiful, deep apps for ambient and experimental sound design. Excited to see what this guy adds in updates and what other apps he creates. Get the feeling that if he wanted to he could create a sequencer app that would totally destroy the Octatrack...which some of the functionality and sound design on this app reminds me of...
The only additional things I’d love to see would be full AUv3 version updates for streamlined use in BM3 and also the ability to use the Apple files app, so I could bring in a ton of samples and organise them in to folders.
In terms of actual features, there’s enough here already to last for years of exploration. Half of it I don’t fully even understand yet.... would be cool to be able to ‘video’ finger movements on the reverb section etc and have the recorded automation playback in automation loops, like in iDensity. And to be able to have sync tempo divisions for transport sync with other apps...But these kind of requests are just for fun, and maybe this stuff is already possible even and I just haven’t stumbled on it yet. this app is already insane value for money and anyone in to experimental should grab it straight away.
A wonderful puzzle
All of Igor’s apps are wonderful puzzles. Part of the enjoyment is figuring out what they actually do. Once you understand 5% you realise that this guy is a genius. The manuals make no sense to me, the interfaces are baffling and sometimes I wonder why I bother. Then it happens. Once it happens I stop thinking about chord progressions and scales and music as we know it.
If you want to expand your musical mind then buy his apps, lose yourself and find something you didn’t know was possible.
This is one of those apps that are totally addictive and immersive - the sheer variety of soundscapes that can be generated is mind blowing. Only been using it for a day or so and I'm hooked just on using the inbuilt scenes and playing around with the controls. I'm looking forward to more in-depth creativity as I explore all the options.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Igor Vasiliev
- 36.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Igor Vasiliev
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.