Over 1000 spelling words and audio, included in built-in word list sets based on the English National Curriculum. This engaging and simple to use app is perfect for primary-age children (4-11). Spelling Whizz is ideal for using in school and at home to support teachers and families who want to engage learners and improve spelling outcomes.
90 ready to play built-in spelling list sets
Practise your spellings in a motivating and engaging way using the tried and tested ‘look, say, cover, write, check’ method in this exciting, easy to use app. Look at the word, hear it read out to you, cover it, practice spelling it and check if you’re right. The app tracks and displays the number of attempts taken to spell words correctly, so parents and teachers can plan words to practise further.
Create a bespoke spelling list and share for free
It’s FREE to create and share your own lists – write your own bespoke spelling list for your class, children, family or friends. Add audio, and then simply tap to share. Sharing creates a code which can be used to download the list onto any iPad or iPhone as many times as you like and anywhere in the world! For your children security you do need to Sign up and Login to Share lists, but not for any other feature!
It’s so simple to use, a new list can be created and shared with a whole class in minutes (Sign in for your children's safety). Publish on your Facebook and Twitter pages (grown-ups only!) so parents at home can instantly pull the list onto their own device – perfect for engaging with children and supporting their learning at home.
Designed and created by a senior teacher for children
The app has been designed and created by an experienced senior teacher who understands the educational app market, and tested and used by teachers and parents. Young children can pick up the app and use without needing any technical know-how.
NO annoying in-app purchases; NO subscriptions; SAFE and secure for children. NO need to set up class lists or log-in: simply download the app and use straight away.
Compatible with iPad and iPhone.
Spelling Whizz is perfect for:
- practising weekly spellings, topic words and key vocabulary in school and/or at home
- creating a bespoke wordlist and sharing across multiple devices, the whole class and anywhere in the world (for free!)
- improving spelling outcomes in school and/or at home
- engaging parents and students in school and/or at home
- engaging reluctant groups, such as boys, to improve spelling, reading and writing outcomes.
- ages 4+
- Designed, developed and tested by teachers, students and parents for teachers, students and parents to pick up and use without needing any technical know-how.
- Perfect for practising weekly spellings, topic words and key vocabulary, in school and/or at home.
- Easily and quickly create your own wordlists to share with your class, colleagues or family members. Sharing your wordlist creates a code that can be downloaded onto an unlimited number of other iPads or iPhones.
- Having a push on spelling in your school and want to engage parents and students both in school and at home? Then create spelling lists that can be easily shared with the whole class and/or downloaded onto home devices without parents and students having to go through any complicated login processes.
- Perfect for engaging reluctant groups, such as boys, to improve writing outcomes.
- Suitable for ages 4+
- One price with no in-app-purchases or adverts.
- Compatible with iPad and iPhone.
The Spelling Whizz team regularly release updates and improvements to this App to keep you up to date. Please get in touch via our Facebook page if there are features you would like to add in the future.
For your children's security you do need to Sign up and Login to Share lists, but not for any other feature!
This version fixes a bug where apostrophes were not being recognised in some words lists.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app to get the children interested in doing their weekly spellings
Our children enjoy using spelling whizz and the school release the weekly spellings making it a more fun way to learn. Really happy with the app
OK, but needs improvement
It is not clear why the app requires you to log in (giving your email address) in order to share a spelling list, as you don't need to use the same email address to share a list.
No total score is given when a child finishes a list. You can look up number of attempts for each word individually and colour is red if the LAST response was wrong. But unhelpfully each time the list is used the 'attempts' score merges.
The sharing list facility is only helpful for children all using their own ipad. If you want more than one child to use the same device their attempts are merged with the previous user's score, so no useful individual scores.
The look cover check approach is helpful
It's good to be able to add your own word lists.
Developer Response ,
Hi Vicky - if you log in you can securely share the lists you have created with anyone! Its not about getting your email address. And if you tap on the i button on each wordlist you can see the words that the speller has tried, so you have a good record of what they have done. Hope this helps you!
Great Engagement Tool
It's always a challenge to get Jonathan interested in his spelling homework so the iPad format provides an instant engagement platform. As a parent I get the reassurance that this app has been written by expert teachers who understand the curriculum and successful learning methodologies. Jonathan benefitted from really understanding the learning journey as the app mirrors what he does in the classroom. I'd say this is a great way of supporting learning for boys who'd much rather be doing anything other than homework.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- richard cash
- 68.9 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © GeckoLearning Richard Cash 2016
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.