STARK is a fully fledged amplifier simulator consisting of four modules: Amplifier, Cabinet, Room and effects slots. These modules are processing audio separately, which makes it possible to combine different amplifiers with different cabinets and rooms.
The amp module offers 12 different amplifier profiles. It has both a clean mode and a overdrive mode, an equalizer functionality (including presence), and a booster controlling the end stage amplification saturation.
Cabinet simulation consists of 10 different cabinets of various sizes and sound. This module also offers a stereo width knob that simulates the distance between two microphones put in front of the cone.
Room simulation offers 6 different kinds of rooms, where each room size can be changed between Small, Medium and Large. There’s also a decay parameter controlling reflectivity of the walls and a dry/wet mix.
The pedal board contains 4 slots where any of the 14 effects can be inserted. The order of the pedals can easily be changed using drag and drop.
• American Guitar 1 - An edgy amp that rounds of nicely at the top
• American Guitar 2 - Similar to American Guitar 1, but with some more presence
• British Guitar A 1 - Gives a full sound with crisp
• British Guitar A 2 - Similar to British Guitar A 1, but with more body
• British Guitar B 1 - A slightly saturated amp with nice character in the high mids
• British Guitar B 2 - Is just like British Guitar B 1 a bit saturated, but with a more linear frequency response
• Vintage Guitar - Gives that perfect thickness when playing jazz and soul
• General Tube Amp - Low saturation with a fairly linear frequency response
• Garage Sale Amp - Limited frequency response and saturates. The obvious LoFi choice
• American Bass - A versatile pro bass amp
• British Bass - Works fine for more edgy bass playing
• Vintage Bass - Perfect for soul/jazz/RnB
• Wide Small - Small speakers, lots of resonances
• Tight Small - Small single speakers, few resonances
• Wide Combo - Medium speakers, lots of resonances
• Tight Combo - Medium speakers, few resonances
• Wide Normal - Medium speakers, moderate resonances
• Tight Large - Full range speakers, few resonances
• Wide Large - Full range speakers, lots of resonances
• Radiola - Small (broken) speakers, moderate resonances
• Bass - Low end speaker/Medium speakers, few resonances
• Passthrough - Full range speakers, no resonances
• Normal - A good sounding recording room
• Dark - A room that gives attenuated high frequencies
• Bright - More significant reflections at higher frequencies
• Cold - A room with attenuated low frequencies
• Warm - Gives a livingroom:ish sound
• Boomy - Loud and lots of resonances
Available FX pedals
• Delay - Digital stereo delay
• Chorus - Classic chorus
• Flanger - Flanger with feedback, tone, speed, mix and amount
• Phaser - Classic phaser with the option to decide how many stages to be used
• Reverb - Digital reverb
• Vibrato - A stereo vibrato with reshapeable curve
• Tremolo - A stereo tremolo with reshapeable curve
• Equalizer - 6 band peak filter with fixed frequencies
• Compressor - Simple one-knob compressor
• Booster - Signal booster (gain, bass and treble)
• Distortion - Simple distortion pedal with tone control
• Distortion+ - Complex distortion pedal with optional distortion algorithms
• Gate - Simple gate
• Multiband Gate - Four band spectral gate
There are also about 100 predefined factory presets covering most scenarios.
Full documentation available inside the app or at https://klevgrand.se/downloads/stark-docs/
Audio examples and more info at https://klevgrand.se/products/stark
Obs! STARK consumes a lot of CPU and RAM, so if you’re having trouble using multiple instances at the same time, try to freeze some tracks and/or increase the buffer size.
STARK is an AUv3 plugin that only works in an AUv3 compliant host like Garageband, AUM, Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, Auria etc.
Ratings and Reviews
All things to all men (and women)
This is one of those “oh my stars I wish I’d found this before all those other GUIs with their extortionate IAPs” apps. Really, this pretty much does all the amp sim I need, and with the addition of one or two top-drawer FX apps my world is complete. One small issue is just that- the size of the text, especially in the menus, is hard going for a chap of my age, but I’m not taking a star off just because I’m not as young as I once was.
Winner takes all.
Klevgrand have been very smart with this app, firstly by releasing it as AU3 before any of the established Amp app developers, and secondly offering it at 50% into price. I would not have bought it at just under £20, because I already have ToneStack, and others. However, at under a tenner this is too good to miss.
5 star sound, 4 star UI
The sound from this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I’ve been stacking effects on effects to get sounds only half as good as this. I bought a bunch of distortion effects the day before this came out (typical) trying to chase sounds that this can do effortlessly.
My one gripe is turning the knobs on the 4 interchangeable effects slots ends up with me moving the whole effect unit instead.
- Klevgrand Produkter AB
- 22.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch)Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation) and iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- © Klevgrand Produkter AB
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.