Includes over 70 amazing books!
From the charity behind the award-winning Teach Your Monster to Read comes Teach Monster – Reading For Fun, a brand new game that encourages kids to have fun and enjoy reading! Designed with experts from Roehampton University to get kids reading more, Teach Monster – Reading For Fun inspires kids to explore a magical village full of fascinating facts and spellbinding stories.
Customise your own monster, make friends with colourful characters and collect over 70 free ebooks courtesy of Usborne, Okido, Otter-Barry and more. The game encourages children of all ages to read for pleasure and is perfect to play at home or school, alongside Teach Your Monster to Read or on its own.
There are hours of reading fun, from following signposts and reading aloud with Goldspear the librarian, to discovering books which help you bake delicious cakes and find treasure. It’s up to you to choose what to explore and when, but hurry, the villagers need your help. Your monster must use all its wisdom, skill and bravery to stop the book-eating goblin from causing chaos in the village and eating all the books!
WHY READING FOR FUN?
• Boost your child’s reading confidence
• Develop your child’s empathy, as they put themselves in different characters’ shoes and develop an understanding of the wider world
• Improve your child’s skills in reading for different purposes, from recipes, to signposts and instructions
• Read books with friends. Choose brand new books, or re-read old favourites
• Create positive screen time for children in a fun environment
• Collect over 70 brilliant free ebooks from Usborne, Okido, Otter-Barry and more.
Reading for pleasure is a proven method to transform literacy skills and academic performance in children. The pedagogy of reading for pleasure within this game has been developed in close collaboration with educational experts from Roehampton University.
BE PART OF A READING COMMUNITY
• Make friends and help out the villagers with quests that require reading
• Pop into the village library to read along with Goldspear, Coco and more
• Read different kinds of texts, from signposts and instructions, to entire fiction and non-fiction books
• Complete jobs to get rewarded with books for your monster’s bookshelf
• Solve challenges and follow the story as it unfolds, read recipes to make treats, or go on quests to overcome the book-eating goblin.
• Discover new authors, poems, stories and a series of children’s books that you’ll love.
Created by Teach Your Monster, Reading for Fun is part of The Usborne Foundation, a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE. Harnessing research, design and technology, Teach Your Monster is a non-profit organisation that creates playful media to address issues from literacy to health.
What are you waiting for? Take your monster on an epic reading adventure today!
◆ The Badges Update
Presenting the Badges Update! Your monster can earn beautiful badges for their reading achievements. And keep an eye out for exciting letters and parcels delivered to your monster’s house via the new post system. We’ve also made some improvements based on your feedback. Patch details for adventurous readers follow:
• Added badges for ambitious readers to earn!
◦ Check out the badge book in your monster’s house.
• Added a new post delivery system.
◦ Your monster can receive post at breakfast each morning.
• Improved the tutorial so new readers can begin their adventure faster.
• Updated some story events to use the new post system.
We want to make this game as great as it can be, so please leave a review and let us know what you think; we read every one!
Ratings and Reviews
My four year old loves it
This is a great app! By being able to tap on the text to hear what all of the characters are saying, my four year old is able to play this by himself or with just a little supervision. He loves going into the bakery and following the recipes. A really great way for children to develop early game playing skills, listening and following instructions, exploring and discovering new books. Fantastic!
Buggy when Carrying Out Baking Tasks
At times the game asks you to follow recipes and “bake for the villagers”. This involves adding ingredients, using a wooden spoon to mix them, and then baking the mixture.
Sometimes this is fine, but sometimes the spoon you need to mix your ingredients does not appear. There’s no way round this except to close the game and hope when you restart you’re asked to bake a different item.
I’ve tried deleting and recreating players and I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. The problem remains …
I contacted the game help email a couple of days ago - so far, no reply.
I’m playing on a 9.5” iPad Pro with a fully up to date version of IOS.
As it stands, I couldn’t recommend this game - young children are unlikely to have the patience to try to work around problems like this.
Aside from the problems, I’ve noticed my granddaughter has a tendency to skip over the dialogue which constantly pops up and interferes with the flow of the game. I understand that this game is about helping with the early stages of reading, but there has to be a more fluid way of delivering verbal instructions.
Developer Response ,
We've very recently put a new version of our app live with a fix for this very issue. Please try installing the latest version and that will fix the bakery issue for you.
Plus, we're sorry to hear that you tried to contact us and that we haven't gotten back to you yet. I'm sure you can imagin that we get a lot of emails from our users but that's not an excuse and we'll try to get better at this. Please except our appologies.
Thank you for your review and have a wonderful day.
Teach your Monster Reading for fun
This gets a double thumbs up from my 6 year old. He is already a great, confident reader and loves books but he absolutely loves to play this game regularly. He says the best thing is how you can explore villages and do jobs for the villagers. He really loves building his book collection. Thanks for a brilliant free game!
Developer Response ,
Wow, this is music to our ears! This game has been designed for ALL kids to read for fun, whether they're emergent readers or fluent, confident readers. It's lovely to know your 6 year old is enjoying exploring the village with his monster, doing fun jobs that require reading and growing his collection of books. With over 70 to collect, there are hours and hours of fun reading ahead! :)
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Teach Your Monster Ltd.
- 438.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 6 to 8
- © Teach Your Monster
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.