Textastic is a fast and versatile text, code and markup editor. It supports syntax highlighting of more than 80 programming and markup languages. Connect to FTP, SFTP, SSH and WebDAV servers or to your Dropbox or Google Drive account. Use the built-in WebDAV server to easily transfer files from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
NEW IN TEXTASTIC 9:
• Support for Dark Mode
• Multiple Windows on iPadOS 13
• Context Menus for Files and Tabs
• Syntax highlighting of more than 80 languages:
• Compatible with TextMate and Sublime Text 3 syntax definitions and themes
• Emmet support
• FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL), SFTP (SSH connection), WebDAV, Dropbox and Google Drive clients
• SSH terminal connections
• Git repositories from the Git client app Working Copy can be opened as external folders in Textastic
• iCloud Drive
• WebDAV server
• Symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Full external keyboard support
• Configurable keyboard shortcuts
• Displays additional keys over the virtual keyboard to make it easy to type characters often used for programming
• Cursor navigation wheel for easy text selection
• Easily move the cursor using swipe gestures
• Split View and Slide Over multitasking on iPad
• Open multiple files in tabs
• Full iPad Pro and iPhone 11 support
• Supports most encodings like UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1251 or MacRoman
• Supports different tab widths and soft tabs (spaces instead of tabs)
• Customizable font and font sizes
• Find & Replace (including regular expression search)
• File information like character count and word count
• Send files by email
• Local and remote web preview for HTML and Markdown files
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
• Custom fonts
Textastic supports several ways to import your files:
• Connect to (S)FTP and WebDAV servers, Dropbox or Google Drive
• By using "Open In" in other apps
• Over Wi-Fi with the built-in WebDAV server
Don't hesitate to tell me the features you want to see in the next version!
• Adding New Files, Folders, and Images Has Been Redesigned
- When creating files and folders using the "+" button below file lists, you can now see and change the location in which the new file or folder will be created. This is especially useful when you invoke this dialog using the Cmd-N keyboard shortcut and you don't remember the last folder you navigated to.
- There is a new "Import" tab that you can use to import files using the iOS document picker, and to import images using the new iOS image picker introduced in iOS 14.
- Tap and hold or right click the "+" button to show a menu that allows you to directly invoke "New File", "New Folder", "Import Files", or "Import Images".
• Improved Web Preview Server
- The web server for the web preview is now started when the app is launched instead of when the web preview is first shown.
- The web server for the web preview now uses port 8080 by default instead of a random port. This allows you to bookmark preview URLs in Safari when using "Preview in Safari". You can change the port or use a random port in Settings -> Web Preview.
• Remote Connections
- Rewritten UI of remote connection settings ((S)FTP, WebDAV, Google Drive, Dropbox) with better support for Dynamic Type and VoiceOver.
- Updated to the new Dropbox OAuth API that uses short lived access tokens and refresh tokens. The old Dropbox API will stop returning long-lived access tokens on September 30th, 2021. With this update, Textastic is ready for this change. Existing access tokens are not impacted.
• Other Improvements
- Rewritten file properties and search settings with better support for Dynamic Type and VoiceOver, and some other improvements.
- Rewritten UI of WebDAV server settings and moved it from the bottom toolbar below file listings to settings. The WebDAV server button is still shown below the list of locations (Local Files, iCloud, external folders…).
- You can now share the WebDAV server URL by tapping on it.
- In some rare cases, the first line of a file was displayed without syntax highlighting although the file was highlighted.
- Fixed a bug in the text layout cache that could lead to a seldom crash when editing text.
- Fixed a bug when creating a new file in iCloud using x-callback-url. There was an error message and the file was not created. Now, the file is properly created in iCloud.
- Fixed: changing the file extension when renaming a file (e.g. from .html to .md) did not update syntax highlighting
Ratings and Reviews
I can't rate this text editor highly enough. It's indispensable, not solely for programmers, because its text editing aids such as cursor movement controls, enhanced keyboard and full undo will prove extremely useful to just about anyone. It's a plain text editor that handles full Unicode text and uses monospaced fonts, so that makes it ideal for programmers. It can store files in the iCloud or locally. It can also transfer files to other machines using a variety of mechanisms. Alexander’s support is fantastic too. Run, don't walk.
This app is exactly what I was looking for. Being able to access my own local/iCloud directories and add the folder to the app is very useful. I can now mount the directory with my whole website and easily make changes. What’s also very useful is the “Preview in Safari” feature, which really makes it handy when developing a website. App is very responsive with many good themes. Highly recommended!
First class text editor
Brilliant plain text editor, not just for coders. I use it for editing GPX and TCX files, but also with the Stylus app and my Apple Pencil to just hand write notes and instantly convert them to text. Then I can correct and copy or export to another app for formatting if I need to. It’s fast becoming my most used app, highly recommended. One major issue though, it crashes with what it calls ‘large’ files of over 5MB - for me thats a really small file, so I still find myself having to use a Mac or PC to edit real large files
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Blach
- 22.7 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2021 Alexander Blach
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.