The Spectator App gives you the best of news, comment and culture - before the newspapers catch up.
Try us free for seven days. Already a subscriber to The Spectator? Simply install the app and sign in.
• A daily mixture of political commentary, cultural criticism and humour
• Each edition of the magazine published live at 6am
• Receive alerts on breaking news - and the latest from Spectator writers
• Listen to all Spectator podcasts and narrated articles
• Read articles when you’re offline
• *NEW* Pick up where you left off, across devices
• *NEW* Follow your favourite writers and topics
• *NEW* Hide articles you’ve already read
Install the app and start your free trial today to find out why we’re Europe’s fastest-growing current affairs magazine.
*New in this version*
• Bug fixes and various performance enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic Weekly & Great Website
I stopped reading magazines many years ago when I got fed up with Men’s Health and FHM.
But back in late 2015 I started finding politics a lot more exciting when Trump and the Brexit Referendum started dominating the internet.
By 2016 I was reading the Spectator regularly and checking the website most days. Whilst I think the magazine is a tad expensive at £4.95 an issue, at least if you buy it every week, a monthly subscription fee of £9.99 for unlimited (online) access to the website and unlimited access to ALL back issues (going back as fat as 1800 and something) is a heck of a bargain.
Remember not all web articles feature in the magazine so the online subscription gives you everything. There is also a free podcast and daily email news updates, so instead of wading through a load of rubbish and adverts online each day I just rely on email updates each day to keep me up to date with what’s going on.
If you don’t want to buy the magazine each week or don’t have time to read it, go for the cheaper monthly digital subscription and have EVERY issue and article in your phone! Great value and highly recommended.
Brilliant broad church polemics and very amusing too!
I look forward to The Spectator magazine and read it from cover to cover. There are some writers I disagree with like Matthew Parrish, and others that are left wing. But it all adds up to a broad spectrum take on life in Great Britain and elsewhere, today. The writers are well informed and usually amusing and cover politics, economics, cookery, books and the arts, crosswords, cartoons and a myriad of varying topics every week. A great investment and you can also download the blogs and videos and enjoy them on your iPad etc.
The Spectator also champions freedom of the press, the basic tenet of a healthy democracy, and freedom of speech. So 10/10 as far as I’m concerned.
Unutterably awful new app
The previous app was excellent - simple and functional and permitted quick and efficient access to the magazine and to coffee house articles. The new app is a rage-inducing piece of software junk. For example: when the new magazine arrives, access to the current week’s edition is lost; the magazine never remembers the last page I was reading; it’s all mindbuggeringly slow to load - critical when over a snatched breakfast is the only Spectator-reading opportunity of the day; never mind this paying subscriber - even the app itself frequently can’t be bothered to wait for itself to load and closes itself down. And I could go on. The current software developer needs to be sacked (and preferably disembowelled slowly with a blunt spoon) and the old app brought back. It is impossible to read and enjoy the Spectator like this.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Spectator (1828) Ltd
- 33.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © The Spectator (1828) Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- 1 month £9.99
- 1 year £99.99
- 2 July 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 10 December 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 25 June 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- The Spectator Magazine 15 December 2012 £4.99
- The Spectator Magazine 30 March 2013 £4.49
- The Spectator Magazine 14 December 2013 £4.49
- 16 July 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 13 December 2014, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.