The Spectator app is a subscriber exclusive that gives you the best of news, comment and culture from the world’s oldest magazine.
Simply download the app and sign in.
• A daily mixture of political commentary, cultural criticism and humour
• Each issue of the weekly magazine published every Thursday at 4 a.m.
• Receive alerts on breaking news – and the latest from Spectator writers
• Listen to all Spectator podcasts and narrated articles
• Read articles when you’re offline
• Keep track of the articles you’ve already read
Join the party with Europe’s fastest-growing current affairs magazine.
App improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
IT department - don’t spring new apps without any previous warning…
IT depts justify their existence by making, in the main, unnecessary and superfluous alterations to something that worked perfectly well in the beginning, and the new Spectator app is no exception.
This is not to say the original app was perfect; it wasn’t. But the second revision (also unasked for, except possibly by the IT department) removed, for example, the ability to search the etymology of words through a Wikipedia link which was a great asset in the first app.
After many complaints - and I was an early and vigourous participator -this facility was restored, but only grudgingly and to a measly degree.
This current version jumps all over the place, takes the reader back to the beginning unasked, cannot find the readers previous location without a degree of accuracy and flickers and flits around the screen like a newborn colt.
I have two recommendations to IT staff. Firstly if something works don’t muck around with it, and secondly don’t alter things unless the customers ask you to. Always remember, the customer knows the app far better than you think you do - they are the ones who use it, not you.
Fantastic Weekly & Great Website
I stopped reading magazines many years ago when I got fed up with Men’s Health and FHM.
But back in late 2015 I started finding politics a lot more exciting when Trump and the Brexit Referendum started dominating the internet.
By 2016 I was reading the Spectator regularly and checking the website most days. Whilst I think the magazine is a tad expensive at £4.95 an issue, at least if you buy it every week, a monthly subscription fee of £9.99 for unlimited (online) access to the website and unlimited access to ALL back issues (going back as fat as 1800 and something) is a heck of a bargain.
Remember not all web articles feature in the magazine so the online subscription gives you everything. There is also a free podcast and daily email news updates, so instead of wading through a load of rubbish and adverts online each day I just rely on email updates each day to keep me up to date with what’s going on.
If you don’t want to buy the magazine each week or don’t have time to read it, go for the cheaper monthly digital subscription and have EVERY issue and article in your phone! Great value and highly recommended.
Brilliant broad church polemics and very amusing too!
I look forward to The Spectator magazine and read it from cover to cover. There are some writers I disagree with like Matthew Parrish, and others that are left wing. But it all adds up to a broad spectrum take on life in Great Britain and elsewhere, today. The writers are well informed and usually amusing and cover politics, economics, cookery, books and the arts, crosswords, cartoons and a myriad of varying topics every week. A great investment and you can also download the blogs and videos and enjoy them on your iPad etc.
The Spectator also champions freedom of the press, the basic tenet of a healthy democracy, and freedom of speech. So 10/10 as far as I’m concerned.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Spectator (1828) Ltd
- 51.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © The Spectator (1828) Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- 1 month £9.99
- 1 year £99.99
- 2 July 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 10 December 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 25 June 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- The Spectator Magazine 15 December 2012 £4.99
- The Spectator Magazine 30 March 2013 £4.49
- The Spectator Magazine 14 December 2013 £4.49
- 16 July 2016, The Spectator Magazine £4.49
- 13 December 2014, The Spectator Magazine £4.49