Toot! is a client for the Mastodon social network. It is beautiful, and full of character and whimsy.
What makes Toot! special?
- It is delightful. It is full of beautiful design, animation, amusing details and hidden treasures.
- It is fast and robust. It caches data locally to let you read without waiting for slow loading, and it remembers your reading position.
- It lets you be as many people as you like. You can easily switch between accounts with a flick of your finger. It even lets you read timelines on instances you are not logged in to!
- It has wide support for most features in Mastodon.
- It has the cutest icon.
What makes Mastodon special?
- It is a social network by humans, rather than algorithms and corporate interests.
- It is a social network for humans, rather than advertisers and data collectors.
- It is a social network that is humane, rather than preying on your insecurities and worst instincts.
Why does Toot! cost money?
- Toot! shows you no ads, and it collects none of your information, nor does it track any of your habits. It does not try to trick you into doing anything you do not want.
- That means it gets no money through such shady tricks, and relies on you to support its development.
Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org for more updates and information!
Also, many icons by icons8.com.
* Fixed a problem with translation language selection.
* Fixed the display of hashtag names on the instance screen.
* Fixed loading instances when adding a new server.
* Fixed toot editing to be available on v3.5 servers.
* v21.0: You can now follow hashtags. Followed hashtags will show up in your home timeline.
* v21.0: If your server supports it, you can now translate posts with one tap! You can also adjust what language to translate into.
* v21.0: The feature to scroll back to your last position when tapping to scroll to top a second time is now optional, and off by default. If you liked it, turn it on in the settings!
* v21.0: The scroll back feature also works slightly better.
* v21.0: Fixed a crash during timeline position syncing.
* v21.0: Possible fix for a bug with scrolling to top.
Ratings and Reviews
Good but needs an update
Generally I like this app and I’ve compared it with most of the free ones. The “revolving doors” for themes are a bit silly, but it’s very easy to pick them from the menu instead. I like the little animations. But my main problem is when you pin a hashtag: at least in iOS 16 on an iPhone 13 Pro Max, the bottom two hashtags hide behind the bottom menu and you can’t get to them. You end up having to add two nonsense ones below every time. Please fix!
A very nice experience
As a member of the Great Twitter Exodus of 2022, I’ve found this app a very pleasant experience which has made it easier for me to adapt to the different expectations that Mastodon has about accessibility and content advice. A couple of features I’ve enjoyed are the Tube Map-style threading trails and the ability to be warned if you’re posting an image without alt text.
A little extra functionality around Content Warnings would be nice- as a Twexiter, I’m used to shouting my opinion into the void, regardless of who might be listening! So an option to be reminded about CWs on posting, similar to the one about alt text would be nice- also maybe something when you boost a post without a CW, as an “are you sure?”; ideally, even a way to CW a post on boosting, although that might be trickier.
But overall, a nice experience!
Technically sound but a few UX gripes
A mostly pleasant experience. This app handles multiple accounts better than any other and is mostly pretty in a quirky way. I enjoy the option to visit a public instance’s local timeline without having an account there, so long as the instance supports it. There’s just a few things that ruin it for me.
The lack of a media view is a pretty huge disappointment for me. I like discovering new artists and immediately diving into their work. It’s much harder with this app since I have to linearly scroll through a timeline filled with text posts and boosts.
It is lacking on some vision-accessibility options. I couldn’t find a way to reduce motion or turn off some animations. Some of the textures may prove difficult for some people - the yellow/black striped content warnings are particularly strenuous on my eyes and difficult to read.
There are also quite a few functions hidden away behind an overburdened “More…” menu, which could possibly be neatly integrated into the UI instead.
Overall I would comfortably recommend this app if none of the issues above sound like a problem to you.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dag Agren
- 30 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.6 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.6 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018-2022 Dag Ågren
- In-App Purchases
- Toot! for Men £1.99
- Toot! is too cheap £5.99