WeChat is more than a messaging and social media app – it is a lifestyle for one billion users across the world. Chat and make calls with friends, read news and use local services in Official Accounts and Mini Programs, play games with friends, enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay, and much more.
Why do one billion people use WeChat?
• MORE WAYS TO CHAT: Message friends using text, photo, voice, video, location sharing, and more. Create group chats with up to 500 members.
• VOICE & VIDEO CALLS: High-quality voice and video calls to anywhere in the world. Make group video calls with up to 9 people.
• REAL-TIME LOCATION: Not good at explaining directions? Share your real-time location with the tap of a button.
• MOMENTS: Never forget your favorite moments. Post photos, videos, and more to share with friends on your personal Moments stream.
• TIME CAPSULE (NEW!): Share glimpses of your day. Record short videos to post in your Time Capsule before they disappear in 24 hours.
• STICKER GALLERY: Browse thousands of fun, animated stickers to help express yourself in chats, including stickers with your favorite cartoon and movie characters.
• CUSTOM STICKERS (NEW!): Make chatting more unique with custom stickers and selfie stickers.
• OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS: Tons of accounts to follow with original content and news for your reading pleasure.
• MINI PROGRAMS: Countless third-party services all within the WeChat app that don’t require additional installation, saving you precious phone storage and time.
• TOP STORIES: See the latest articles your friends are reading and discover all kinds of interesting content.
• GAMES: Have fun and compete with friends in a huge selection of WeChat Mini Games and Tencent Games (available in select regions).
• WECHAT PAY: Enjoy the convenience of world-leading mobile payment features with WeChat Pay and Wallet (available in select regions).
• WECHAT OUT: Make calls to mobile phones and landlines around the globe at super low rates (only available in select regions).
• WERUN: Use Healthkit and Health app data to sync your step count on WeRun, where you can compete against friends with daily step rankings. Enable WeRun in “Settings” > “General” > “Plug-ins”.
• LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Localized in 20 different languages and can translate friends' messages and Moments posts.
• BETTER PRIVACY: Giving you the highest level of control over your privacy, WeChat is the only messaging app to be certified by TRUSTe.
- Bug fixes and improvements.
- Can switch to dark mode to match system settings.
- Improved the voice messaging experience and made it easier to swipe up to convert to text.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Still the best social app after 7 years of use.
Used this app for nearly 7 years to talk to friends in China and never ever had a problem with it. It was easy to make an account and when I moved to China 3 years ago, I got my family to use it too and they had no issues making an amount, so I'm not sure how other people are facing issues on their account.
I gave this app 4 stars because I really wish they would add a dark theme for it since many apps are doing it since iOS 13 and even before that!
WeChat is now a waste a space.
After this stupid update, you can longer log in to your account without it asking for your credit card information, I only used this app to text my family and friends so I don’t see any reason for credit card info, plus I don’t even own a card. If you fail to fill in this information, the app will force you to log out of WeChat, it’s like they don’t want you to use it. This update also clears all chat histories if you haven’t transferred them, all my chat histories have been completely wiped and there’s no way of retrieving it. Also, a pop up before the update said something along the lines of “if you don’t update to the latest version, you will no longer be able to use WeChat”. This update has completely ruined itself and now it has become just a waste of storage space on my phone. I highly recommend everyone to not download this app. Or until something has been done about this.
Cannot Register Unless You Know Someone Who Already Uses WeChat
This is utterly farcical! Once again, another Chinese social media platform that WILL NOT let you register an account unless you already know someone who uses the service.
So, if you’ve got friends or family in China, and you want to join WeChat, unless your friends or family have already joined, AND been members for at least six months, you won’t be able to do a single thing!
Utterly ridiculous!! Too many of these Chinese social-media companies seem to not want anyone who isn’t Chinese joining their sites.
So app has now been deleted, and this review serves as a warning to non-Chinese folks that there’s absolutely NO POINT WASTING YOUR TIME with attempting to join!
ADDENDUM: If you DO know someone, and CAN get them to help join you up, then the app is good, and works. You do have to allow it access to your Contacts List, and the Microphone, but you can deny it access to the Microphone once you’ve completely signed-up and everything is up-and-running. Contacts, however, has to remain with access permanently.
- Tencent Technology (Shenzhen) Company Limited
- 339.4 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPad Air, iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad (6th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch), iPad Pro (11‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), iPad (7th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Chinese (Hong Kong), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- Copyright © 2011 - 2020 Tencent Inc. All Rights Reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Onigiri&Friends £0.99
- Hello, Crayon £0.99
- DURURU £0.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.