The best workout app for the Apple Watch just keeps getting better!
WorkOutDoors is the only workout app for the Apple Watch that displays a detailed vector map whilst you exercise. It is also the most configurable workout app, with over 300 live metrics, graphs and buttons that can be displayed in many different screen layouts. It's perfect for running, cycling, hiking, skiing, geocaching and much more.
Note: The app requires an Apple Watch.
The map is drawn using vectors, which means that it can be smoothly zoomed, panned or rotated, just like maps on the iPhone. The data comes from OpenStreetMap, which includes paths, tracks, cycle trails and much more.
Maps can be stored on the Watch for use when you don't have your iPhone or cannot get a data signal. And the price includes maps for the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions are required!
Interval Schedules can be created to assist your workout. For example warm up for 5 minutes, run fast for a mile and recover for a minute 5 times, and then cool down for 5 minutes.
The iPhone app provides detailed analysis of workouts; exporting of workouts; configuration of watch screen layouts; importing of GPX routes; and the ability to control the map areas that are stored offline on your Watch.
Workouts performed using the WorkOutDoors watch app can also be inspected on the iPhone by using Apple's Health and Activity apps.
WorkOutDoors includes many useful map and workout-related features:
- automatic map rotation according to direction of motion or the compass;
- a breadcrumb trail of your route;
- the map can be panned with your finger, and zoomed with the digital crown;
- a circular scale appears when zooming in or out;
- "map-only mode" shows the map without starting a workout;
- GPX routes can be imported and displayed on the map;
- routes are coloured in varying shades of purple: red for uphill; blue for downhill;
- POIs and route waypoints can be tapped for more details;
- double tap for a full screen map;
- many different screen layouts and text sizes;
- configure multiple data screens and cycle through them by swiping the display;
- configure what metrics are shown on each screen from a pool of over 300 live metrics;
- configure interval schedules (e.g. warm-up, run fast then rest x 10, cool down)
- manual or configurable automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- summary information, including lap splits, can be shown at any time during the workout;
- splits available for pace, distance, time, heart rate, calories, elevation and steps;
- interval alerts for distances (e.g. every mile), times, steps, calories, ascent and descent;
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable heart rate zones with dozens of zone-related metrics and graphs;
- configurable target pace/speed with fields such as distance vs target and time vs target;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map to show how far ahead or behind you are;
- 3 individually configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile, last minute etc);
- 28 different activity types;
- multiple types of graphical data fields: historical graphs, bar charts, trail maps and more;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation or to quickly show any settings screen;
- "Now Playing" music controls now available from a button within the app;
- workouts can be directly uploaded to Strava or exported as GPX files for use in other apps and websites;
- works even without an iPhone on watches with GPS;
- compass pointing north (which also acts as a button to control rotation);
- "start compass" pointing to your start location (tap it for distance to start);
- GPS signal strength indicator (tap it to see accuracy in metres);
- Battery level indicator;
- Geocache GPX files can be loaded (tap a cache for full groundspeak data);
If you own an Apple Watch and enjoy running, cycling, hiking, skiing, or any other outdoor exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
- All settings now available in the iPhone app as well as the watch app;
- Map can now be customised with dozens of different styles;
- New activity types: weight training, mixed cardio, cross training, pilates and more;
- Workouts now regularly saved so they can be recovered if required (e.g. battery runs out);
- Ability to control interaction with other audio sources (mix/duck/pause);
- Ability to request confirmation when ending a workout;
- Ability to configure all 4 options on touch menu;
- Redesign of user interface to be cleaner and more modern looking;
- New buttons for functions that were previously only available via the touch menu;
- Improved logging of data transfers to help diagnose watchOS/iOS comms issues.
- Totals by interval type now added to iPhone analysis;
- Energy can now be displayed in joules instead of calories;
- Stride length can now be displayed in feet instead of metres;
- Keeping GPS on for a minute after app's use is now optional;
- Lots of other improvements and fixes!
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using apps on my iphone to help me navigate whilst hiking for many years. This has involved saving offline maps and then using gpx files to display routes. Around 6 months ago i started trying to achieve the same goal but using my apple watch (navigating without having my iphone on me). I tried a huge variety of apps but virtually all of them were convoluted and required expensive subscription services. I recently stumbled across this app and finally ive found what im looking for!!! Its wonderfully simple but also highly customisable. The app allows tracking a variety of workouts but i use it in its simplest form: import a gpx and then click “send to watch” and “send map to watch.” The app automatically downlods the tiles on the map that cover the gpx and sends them to the watch. I can then open the watch and just click “map” and open the gpx. Its silky smooth and the maps are all vector so scale nicely. The watch app also makes full use of the compass in the new apple watch. I also love the fact you can choose how long the glx stays active after you close the app or the screen goes dark. The developer really has created a wonderful product and their passion shines through. The watch app is so well designed and its so responsive and well though out. As i said before, i really only use it in its simplest form and the app can do so much more especially if you want to track workouts and export data etc. Thank you!!!
Fantastic app. Started to use this instead of many other well known branded apps. What it lacks in polish and style it makes up for extreme functionality options and stats. You can literally track any metric you will ever need and configure the screens to display it. The voice option is great however it still uses the robot, Stephen Hawkins-style voice to read all stats. I think this might be more of a memory limitation than anything else. But here is probably the reason why Apple don’t use voice over on their workout app as it sounds pretty average! But fair play to the developer(s) I can only imagine the amount to of testing that went into this. Well done. There has been no updates for 6 months either which is a bit of a concern so maybe this deserves to be snapped up by a large corporation and invested in as it’s way ahead of the competition.
Love this app! In fact it’s now my favourite watch app! It amazes me that Apple, Google etc have not done this. So well done to the developer of this app for getting it sorted! The mapping is spot on. Perfect for when you are out on a run, bike or walk. I love that it has footpaths and leaves breadcrumb trails so you can go off exploring without getting lost. It also has an arrow that points back to your starting point. Very cool for those days when you get lost in the woods! The fact that you can upload maps is also brilliant. Often out in the wild, the signal is rubbish, so this feature is game changing and a must! The data collection is fantastic also and auto syncs with other apps and the Apple HealthKit/Activity app. For those like me who like to see what they have achieved, this syncing is a massive bonus. If you are after a mapping app for your watch, this is it!!! Love it!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ian Muriss
- 14.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Computer Client Services Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.