GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the new Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 11 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record and capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy synth*
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch**
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions***
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists****
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops*****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud******
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
*** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
**** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
***** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
****** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
• Supports keyboard commands when using a Smart Keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard
• Adds the Wah stompbox pedal and Face Control to Smart Guitar
• Provides stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Good app but been having a problem recently
This is a really good app with a lot of cool features that can make really professional sounding music (if you are good at that kind of thing) and it is easy to use.
Recently however when I am recording piano and guitar parts using the chords it will make random parts of my recording really staccato and the issue persists even when I restart the app. I really like the app but this bug is messing me up and putting me off it a bit :(
Anyway would give five stars if this bug was fixed :)
Great app, but still a lot of bugs
I’ve been using Garage Band as an ‘on-the-go’ option to record melodies, beats, vocals and sometimes complete songs. It’s obviously not as complete a program as Logic, but it is easy to use and fun.
That said, following this latest update (12th November 2017), the index screen layout has changed and the app won’t work properly. That dreaded spinning wheel of doom appears when you try to either start a new project instrument and it appears all my older works (which I’ve thankfully backed up to my computer) have now disappeared.
Guess I’ll have to wait for another update before I can use the app again! :(
Garage band is a great app idea for musicians, like me to record songs on an app so I can replay it and test on my piano. You don’t have to be a musician, in fact, before I even knew how to play I always had fun with garage band! Very good app also to have fun with if your bored, no WiFi connection required so you can play on the go. Not only can you record tons of backing tracks but you can also record your voice. Rapping,singing,talking or anything will work! Highly recommended for musicians and people who like playing with stuff.
All over, GREAT APP!
- Apple Distribution International
- 1.7 GB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.