GarageBand turns your iPad and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a fully featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards and guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone or guitar to instantly record a performance, with support for up to 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs created by some of the biggest producers in the world. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad and iPhone like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps and stompboxes
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions*
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists**
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings and loops***
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favourite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad or iPhone
• Share your songs using email or to social media sites like SoundCloud****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
*** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
**** Sharing to some social media sites may require apps like iMovie, Clips or other third-party apps
• New downloadable “Beat Tape” sound pack with a collection of over 200 new hip-hop loops and 5 drum kits
• Provides performance and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Good app but been having a problem recently
This is a really good app with a lot of cool features that can make really professional sounding music (if you are good at that kind of thing) and it is easy to use.
Recently however when I am recording piano and guitar parts using the chords it will make random parts of my recording really staccato and the issue persists even when I restart the app. I really like the app but this bug is messing me up and putting me off it a bit :(
Anyway would give five stars if this bug was fixed :)
I love the app but the best app for you and your friends is the app
I love garage band it is so good you should get the app and see what you have to do with it and then it will start to get you there for you and your family to see what your friends love of it and then I can see what your friends can do for me and then you have to go back and right more Reviews and then your phone and your friends are going to see what your cuzins thinks I no tell everybody about it tell your dad and baby and your nanny anybody’s going to tell you what you want to do and then we are going to have you come with and join bye bye
Great app, but still a lot of bugs
I’ve been using Garage Band as an ‘on-the-go’ option to record melodies, beats, vocals and sometimes complete songs. It’s obviously not as complete a program as Logic, but it is easy to use and fun.
That said, following this latest update (12th November 2017), the index screen layout has changed and the app won’t work properly. That dreaded spinning wheel of doom appears when you try to either start a new project instrument and it appears all my older works (which I’ve thankfully backed up to my computer) have now disappeared.
Guess I’ll have to wait for another update before I can use the app again! :(
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.