“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
- Stabilized GopenPGP v2 library for better encryption
- Better Networking module for faster and safer operations
- Diverse UX enhancements
- Fixed tapping "TO" field when writing an email with iOS 14.5 Beta is dysfunctional
- Fixed Wrong "time out" message when an account needs a change of password
- Fixed irrelevant message "Sending" still displayed after a message is sent in some cases
- Fixed alternative route to API when it's blocked
- Fixed timeout message missing when logging
- Fixed crash when the mailbox storage's size is getting over the limitation
- Fixed crash when clicking notification to open message in certain cases
- Fixed default address change option for your account
- Fixed messages from secondary account displayed in the search results
- Fixed sign up flow failing with human verification option
- Fixed logging out desynchronisation between web and mobile
- Fixed duplicate messages in the 'Inbox' folder after a long time without opening the app
- Fixed message body not sent completely in case of a very long message and in some edge cases
- Fixed contact birthday format
- Fixed abnormal display of emoji in the composer when replying
- Fixed syncing issues with the app after messages have been imported on the account
- Fixed numbers within an email message opening up a web page instead of proposing to make a phone call
- Fixed blank screen when composing a reply in case of a long content conversation
- Fixed draft being empty if the draft is opened from search results in certain scenarios
- Fixed error messages linked to app store purchases when opening the app
- Fixed email address overlapping the expand icon when typing it by hand
- Fixed contacts search keyboard appearing grey instead of default black
- Fixed crash after rotation in enter password page
- Fixed sending message being overridden by draft because of wrong sequence of treatment
- Fixed message content not saved in a draft message if the message sending failed in a certain scenario
- Fixed system checks when sending an email while in offline mode
- Fixed sending a message if attachments are still being uploaded
- Fixed message reappearing online after being deleted offline
- Fixed correct signature not being displayed if a switch of sender being performed on a draft saved on web
- Removed the "continue and don't ask again option" on confirm link modal
- Fixed content load error when a draft is saved and later sent without subject
- Updated the default ProtonMail signature to "Sent from ProtonMail for iOS"
- Fixed attachments being not delivered in some edge cases
- Fixed message sending failure with wrong message if you try to send it while offline on iOS 14.2 beta
- Fixed crash after opening the app already in background in a certain scenario
- Fixed contacts and groups tab bar not shown after sending a group message
- Fixed Incorrect inbox information after switching accounts
- Fixed crash when adding an attachment in certain scenarios
- Fixed screen sharing on tv results in Black iPhone display
- Fixed message 'sending failed' being wrongly displayed after killing the app while the message is being sent
- Fixed contacts from all accounts being displayed when creating a group
- Fixed trackpad functions not all working
- Fixed empty trash function not working
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Mark as read instead of unread
How come you guys made the option in sliding options to mark as “unread” but not mark as “read” ? It’s bizarre
Please take this feedback and implement it .
The app is great. But I found a bug. Not sure where to report it, thus the review. I get TWICE the notifications. One with the subject line, and another that just says “you have a new message”.
It’s a straightforward application that works well, with the added benefit of being secure and private. I’m glad I switched over from Gmail!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Proton Technologies AG
- 155.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) ₹ 5,200
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.