Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
- Dark Mode (iOS 13)
- SKIP keyboard
- Options to turn off the flipping animation and to disable the colors on the flashcards
- Some more bugfixes
Many dictionaries have come and go since my Language learning journey, not this one! By far the biggest archive of words besides google.
If you need to look up a word you can be sure it’s there( in all it’s forms ,past ,present ect.)
This is in contrast to dictionaries ive paid for that miss some words:(大辞林) 35$ ,新明解 (15$ on sale)
I still use these because of pitch accent information, plus it’s using Japanese to look up Japanese. But other wise this app trumps all of that.
If only there were pitch accent information, maybe add a chart or something and the pitch numbers. Then this app would be even more perfect.
Oh and just one small pet peeve, on my iphone7plus this dictionary doesnt support Horizontal mode ,whilst on my ipad it does. Please add horizontal support, i keep tilting my head because i dont want to bend my phone charger >_<.
But suddenly some problem occurred and i don’t know why.
I used to be able to write the kanji on the iPad but now that option doesn’t appear anymore even with the latest updated version of the app. It’s so useful to be able to write the kanji when I don’t know the reading, please help me fix this issue.
That's a weird bug. We will take a look at it. Thank you!
Awesome but handwriting option needs improvement
I’ve been using this app for 5 years or so, it’s my go-to JE dictionary app. However, I find the handwriting option to be inaccurate much of the time and have to use the Chinese handwriting keyboard to write the kanji you need. Since you can’t type kanji without knowing the reading, I find this feature very essential and hope it can be improved on. I think the handwriting option was better several years ago but for some reason it’s hardly accurate anymore(?)