GarageBand turns your iPad and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a feature-packed recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards and guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone or guitar to instantly record a performance, with support for up to 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs created by some of the biggest producers in the world. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad and iPhone like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps and stompboxes
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions*
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic and electronic drummers and percussionists**
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings and loops***
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favourite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad or iPhone
• Share your songs using email or to social media sites like SoundCloud****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
*** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
**** Sharing to some social media sites may require apps like iMovie, Clips or other third-party apps
• New downloadable “Beat Tape” sound pack with a collection of over 200 new hip-hop loops and 5 drum kits
• Provides performance and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
The app just starting showing a notification of core audio file is not available? Started after the recent software update. Please repair. Have made multiple songs and recording’s. No sound anymore
Live loops is awesome but...
Cant find a keyboard shortcut or MIDI command to allow a simple command like “Next Loop Section” and “Previous Loop Section” or even just one shortcut for “Trigger Focused Loop Section”! This would allow one to gig just using an iPhone/iPad playing backing sections of a song, with say the solo artist on their guitar where they can use an XSONIC AIRSTEP or other Keyboard/MIDI foot switch to trigger next/previous section for instance. Even better would be just have one shortcut for trigger focused loop section and this would add even more awesomeness. One can use the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keyboard shortcuts to go up or down the loop sections without triggering them, and then hit the trigger shortcut to let that next section trigger after the previous loop sections bar is done.
Please, oh please, Apple GarageBand app developers, this should be a walk in the park for you! May be even my suggestion isn’t clean enough design wise, then may be a bunch of shortcuts dedicated to Live Loops mode will make it super awesome!
I really love this app because it seamlessly integrates with all of Apple’s other music apps (Music Memos and GarageBand for Mac).
When I get an idea, I can record it in Music Memos where I can then add bass/drums to hear what it could potentially sound like. I can then import it into GarageBand for iOS in which I could play around with some instruments, some drums and some random sounds. If I then wish to evolve it further, I can then open it up in GarageBand for Mac with so setup or transferring - thanks to iCloud being able to conveniently sync my projects automatically; in which I can progressively improve my music on the Mac edition.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Pty Limited
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.