Slack brings team communication and collaboration into one place so you can get more work done, whether you belong to a large enterprise or a small business. Check off your to-do list and move your projects forward by bringing the right people, conversations, tools, and information you need together. Slack is available on any device, so you can find and access your team and your work, whether you’re at your desk or on the go.
Use Slack to:
• Communicate with your team and organize your conversations by topics, projects, or anything else that matters to your work
• Message or call any person or group within your team
• Share and edit documents and collaborate with the right people all in Slack
• Integrate into your workflow, the tools and services you already use including Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, Asana, Twitter, Zendesk, and more
• Easily search a central knowledge base that automatically indexes and archives your team’s past conversations and files
• Customize your notifications so you stay focused on what matters
Scientifically proven (or at least rumored) to make your working life simpler, more pleasant, and more productive. We hope you’ll give Slack a try.
Stop by and learn more at: https://slack.com/
• You may have noticed that with this release there’s a new, larger number at the end of the version string. Going forward, while you’ll still see the numbers laid out in a MAJOR.MINOR.BUILD sequence, the “Build” numbers will now correspond to specific builds on our end as opposed to a small sequential number. TL;DR: A few more numbers for you, a bit more specificity for everyone.
• We’ve added the most common Apple and Microsoft file extensions to our approved list so you won’t be asked to confirm each time you open a Word doc or Keynote presentation. Are you sure you’d like one less approval? YES/NO
• If you’re in a locale that does not use the default system string encoding on Mac, opening certain file types would cause a crash in a native dependency that tries to interpret a string passed to it as the system default string encoding. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, well don’t worry because we fixed it.
• This release includes minor security improvements. Updating is beneficial.
Ratings and Reviews
New Drafts feature needs some more work
I love Slack as a service and ecosystem, it's great. Works OK on all my devices. I'd generally give it a 4-star review, but I've knocked that down to a 3-star since the new Drafts feature was added.
My workflow has me in a lot of channels, and a lot of DMs. I'll start typing something, then get a notification about something else. I'll switch to that channel to check that out. Then, I want to switch back to the channel / DM I was tying in... but it's now been moved to the top of the list into the new Drafts area. I have to scroll a ways to get to that. This feels quite jarring, and has led to me typing less Drafts overall. It'd be great to have an option to turn off the Drafts panel, or to highlight Drafts in a different way. I personally like the idea of being reminded that I haven't sent a Draft, but the vertical movement of the message in the sidebar is too much for me
I love the service but the app...
Slack is a fantastic service for any company or small business who works remotley or even physcially and wants a quick and effective way for teams to communicate, however I find the Slack app for Mac is very slow and fails to open in a timley manner. I have reached out to Slack Support (who are fantastic, shout out to them) and they said that it is a long-term goal for them to increase the app's performance but it's also a long-term goal for me to be able to do my work fast. For fresh launch it is faster for me to pull my iPhone out and send a quick message than for my rather new (ish) MacBook Pro to launch Slack. Other than that the design feels a bit outdated but everything else functions as expected and the new icon looks rather nice. 3/5 stars. I hope to give 5/5 stars once these issues have been addressed.
Coronavirus - Uni Online
As the class-rep I have been using this system as a way for students to DM eachother without using facebook. During COVID-19 our university shifted to online learning and this has been a great way for us to all keep in touch and ask eachother for help with uni assignments. It has allowed us to have multiple 'class pages' going at once and it's excellent because it keeps everything together. It is very accessable and keeps workflows going :-)
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Browsing History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Slack Technologies, Inc.
- 168.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Slack Technologies, Inc.