Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of English language globally, with more than 150 years of research behind it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary, 2018 edition, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence is directly presented at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only).
LATEST APP UPDАТES
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood of your favorite color.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With convenient Home page, more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for.
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized.
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
For new users/“visitors” of Oxford Dictionary
Oxford Dictionary is very good to use and it is very convenient. However, users/we/I need to purchase something to hear how to pronounce the word(s) that I searched. Actually it’s not a big problem to purchase the thing but I do not really want to “waste” money on an app. So if you (still) want to use
Disappointed that voice pronunciation is unable to use in phone muted mode.
Very disappointed that the voice pronunciation cannot function when the phone is in “mute” mode. At my work place, phone has to be put on “silent” mode, strictly as required within our work environment. Thus, your app will not be of use to me, if it cannot function in this situation. Would appreciate if you could enhance this feature to enable voice pronunciation to function when phone is in “mute or silent ” mode, as what other dictionaries’ apps could do. Hope you can provide this feature to your users.
The Oxford Dictionary
This dictionary is my first dictionary to look up on any word I’m not familiar with in my daily reading of the newspaper. It very seldom, if at all, fails to provide me with a very clear explanation and definition. I would like to recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good dictionary.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 235.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English S$ 14.98
- Oxford Dictionary of English S$ 6.98
- Oxford Dictionary of English S$ 8.98
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.