1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more.
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox and WebDAV.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list and much more.
- Support Dark Mode on iOS 13.
- 2 dark themes for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox/WebDAV folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID/Face ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- Drag and drop.
- Open in Place.
- Multiple windows on iOS 13.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Find & replace within document.
- Photo and PDF preview.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off.
- Full-text search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same tag.
Ratings and Reviews
Clean, Simple, and Dependable
After bouncing around the world of Markdown editors on iPad, I eventually began oscillating between iA Writer and 1Writer. iA has some nice features depending on your use case (better templating, typewriter mode, all that good stuff), but I would have weird issues with it at times. Its Dropbox support is already pretty wonky compared to most other apps, and eventually completely stopped working for me a couple months ago.
1Writer has been bullet-proof, though. It does exactly what it says, and does it well. There are small quality-of-life things like being able to close your current file without opening up another one. I don't know why, but it's just nice to be able to do that.
All around stellar app: my go to
I used Editorial for many years and though I tried many other writing and note taking apps before and after that, 1Writer is the one I use every day and trust the most with my writing and notes. Another app worth a look in this space is the new app Tot from Icon Factory which is a fun, simpler take with similarly high standards. But 1Writer is far more powerful and flexible, and allows me to use iCloud to edit my notes on the Mac in my preferred text editor which is usually Sublime Text these days. Having access to the raw files in a normal filesystem matters to me, and 1Writer strikes the perfect balance for me of being quick to capture an idea with sane, customizable defaults, and fully featured enough to go back and find then edit that idea later. The switch between editing and previewing markdown can be quirky to get used to but it's handled well here. Plus the in-app browser experience was recently simplified to great benefit. It's nice to see the app keep improving so considerably and steadily.
Best so far; wish I could “select line.”
I’m a writer and I’ve been through a number of text editors for iOS. When my last favorite one wilted and died due to lack of support, I set out to find a really good one. Various sources steered me to 1Writer, and I discovered I’d already bought it in the past but never used it. I reinstalled it, set it up to sync with Dropbox, and have been happy ever since. My previous text editors would often not allow me to create new files unless I was online or had a data signal (because I had them set to sync with Dropbox), but 1Writer doesn’t give me that trouble.
The one thing I really miss from my last, now dead, text editor was the option to “select line” when you touch and hold and get the usual “select” and “select all” options. Often, it would be convenient to select a line or paragraph without having to drag the beginning and ending markers hither & yon using a touch screen. So pleeeeeeeeease add that, okay? Thanks!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ngoc Luu
- 19.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Ngoc Luu
- In-App Purchases
- Generous Tip $4.99
- Nice Tip $2.99
- Amazing Tip $19.99
- Small Tip $0.99
- Massive Tip $9.99