Airfoil Satellite turns your device into an audio receiver. Send any audio from your Mac with Airfoil and Airfoil Satellite!
Send audio from any app, like Music or Spotify, as well as web-based sources like Pandora and more. Hear your audio anywhere around the house!
Just connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to your local Wifi network and launch Airfoil Satellite, then open up Airfoil on your Mac and start transmitting to the device!
Get Airfoil right from our site:
Airfoil Satellite: Another fine Rogue Amoeba product
* Volume adjustments once again happen instantly. Long live live volume control!
* Remote control buttons have been enlarged, for enhanced usability.
* Groups no longer incorrectly show a volume slider control.
* Minor display bugs have been corrected, including issues with volume slider knobs, as well as a problem in light mode.
* Assorted updates have been made due to the retirement of Airfoil for Windows.
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect for a house full of older iOS devices
I had purchased the full program several years ago but never got it fully implemented. I have rediscovered how awesome it really is. I have kitchen iPad/Alexa, bedroom iPod, main living room, patio, garage all being served by Airfoil. Pretty excited for this.
FYI, the Alexa is connected via Bluetooth to my Mac Mini, which is serving as the master receiver/server, works great!
My only complaint would be about the amount of delay between pressing play/stop/next on the source device and hearing it throughout the Airfoil network. It may be due to the very old Mac Mini(2008) serving everything. The delay may cause someone to hit the button again thinking they didn’t press it correctly.
I’ve been using Airfoil on and off for about 15 years, and it does a great job syncing audio to speakers in different rooms. Better than any other non-wired solution I’ve tried. Listening to the same thing as I walk around the house without needing to wear headphones is really nice! It’s also great for parties. And being able to change which speakers are playing and their volume settings from the satellite app is super convenient. Also, the app is lightweight enough that I’m using some old hardware (iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6s) to run satellite speakers.
All that said, it’s not perfect. The speakers occasionally get out of sync just enough to be annoying. The only way I know to fix this is to disconnect & reconnect. And sometimes the sound is distorted in a way which makes it sound like the orchestra didn’t tune before playing! Also, while the old hardware usually works great, the software crashes sometimes out of the blue, or refuses to connect even when it can see the server (neither of these happens on my newer iPhone).
This app has a lot of great features, such as streaming to multiple audio devices at the samence time, such as a phone to a computer or computer to phone, or connecting several speakers to several devices. This app might be ok if you need to stream the audio of your desktop to multiple iOS devices, but it has some glitches that should be fixed. The biggest one would be the audio delay from the desktop computer to the iOS device, even on a good wi-fi connection. This needs a lot of improvement because remote desktop apps such as team viewer, or chrome remote desktop, even microsoft's remote desktop client, give good audio quality that does not have a 2 second delay.
2. As the connection may become faulty at times, the pitch of the audio fluctuates slightly and a loud clicking noise can be heard.
3. After a few minutes of use, a loud white noise is present in the audio if left open long enough. If you want a reliable speaker other than playing music, I would look elsewhere, this app is not for you. However, this app does have potential, it needs a lot of work to be acceptable enough for use.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rogue Amoeba Software, Inc.
- 3.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Rogue Amoeba Software, Inc