Running with Crayons Ltd
Alfred is a keyboard-driven productivity application, helping you launch apps and search your local computer as well as the web with great speed.
* Winner of Macworld's 2012 Editor's Choice Awards
* TUAW's Best Mac Utility of 2011
* Mac AppStorm's Top Mac Apps 2011
* Leo Laporte's MacBreak Weekly Pick of the Week April 2011 & more!
* Application launcher: Launch any application with a quick shortcut. Alfred will learn which apps you use often and prioritise them when you search
* Search your Mac: Quickly find and open files, bookmarks, contacts, music and more. You will never again have to wonder just where you saved that important document.
* Search the web: Search or launch your favourite websites: Maps, Amazon, eBay, Wikipedia and many more.
* Calculate and Spell: Just start typing to do a quick calculation or look up spellings, definitions or synonyms and antonyms.
* System Commands: Control your Mac with speed and efficiency. Empty trash, start the Screen Saver, restart, shut down, eject a drive and more.
* Custom Searches: Create your own web searches for frequently used websites and wikis.
Ward off RSI - skip using the mouse with this fast and beautiful app.
This is a huge release with 2 new colour themes, Large type support and much more! See alfredapp.com for more details.
* 2 new themes from user theme competition - Dark and Smooth & Pistachio
* Large type support, use ⌘L to show the currently typed text or calculation in large type
* Drag results (files / images etc) out of Alfred into emails, graphics apps, Finder
* New 'Advanced' option for Default Result types, add any file type you like to the default results (still recommend open/find/[spacebar]prefix for file search)
* Overhaul to file searching algorithm allowing, now non-continuous word based matching
* Improvements to the 'in' keyword allowing for disjoint keyword matching
* More exact matching for 'text files' in the default results, no longer matches .ics files
* Improved decimal point configuration in the Calculator, now allowing forced decimal separator output for comma based locales
* Alfred.app no longer shows in results and typing 'alfred' now opens the preferences
* Add Xcode's new Applications location to the default search scope
* More flexibility on the Spell/Define keywords, allow matching on items not in the dictionary
* Less aggressive scientific notation rounding for the calculator for better 0 approximation errors
* More intelligent 'eject' keyword to prevent false errors when a drive is successfully ejected
* Code and performance improvements
* Fixed / improved text and help throughout the preferences
* Make MAS version startup / welcome sheet non resizable and close using Esc key
* Allow ⌘^Q and ⌘^W as hotkeys, previously blocked by over-protective code
* Update the core window renderer to fix a quirk behind the preference cog with transparent themes
* Remove deprecated code and make Alfred more future proofed for OS X
Ratings and Reviews
Best launcher to ever hit OS X
I used Quicksilver for years and loved it. Until it got abandoned and started crashing incessantly. When Google’s Quick Search Box came out (written by the same developer as Quicksilver) I was thrilled and switched immediately. Until it, too, got abandoned and started crashing incessantly. When the community came together to keep QS around as an open-source project, I switched back. And kept using despite the fact that it crashed incessantly because it was at least being maintained and was getting marginally better as time went on.
And then I found Alfred. In 2.5 years of constant use, I can’t remember Alfred EVER crashing on me. It has all of the features that I loved and relied on in both QS and QSB, is much more polished, stable, and, after 2.5 years, development is still going strong. As of this writing, there are 810 ratings total, with 769 of those being 5 stars, and for good reason.
The most telling thing I can really say about Alfred is that, after using the app for 2.5 years, and basically forgetting about it because it’s just always there, always doing its job, I actually WENT OUT OF MY WAY to find it in the App Store and write this review. There are VERY FEW apps that can claim that.
Possibly my favorite app on any platform
I’ve used Alfred for what seems like forever, and it’s arguably the app I’d choose for a desert island. :) It’s what I use to search for things, open things, define things, time things, calculate things, expand text, contact people, manage 1password, manage my clipboard, play music, command the system, and so much more. I’ve tried to find something comparable on my Windows PC that “just works” and there’s nothing (yes, there are a number of launchers that do their best, but nothing just like Alfred).
I’ve also never felt like I was being ripped off or upcharged or anything like that, which is more and more common these days. And both the developers and the community making the “workflows” are active and resposnive.
Alfred is one of those apps that is totally worth it if you use it for nothing but opening files and apps, but becomes more and more valuable with each feature you implement. Love it!
Milestone app; marks a new chapter in search and command
Having owned a computer since 1984, I have been an enthusiastic adopter of new applications. Many come and go and many seem good at the time, and many do add functionality and help me in various ways. But few stand out as game-changers. Alfred is that. Alfred takes the wonderful spirit of the freeware Quicksilver (a powerful application) and makes it easy for all of us. The incredible speed of the app led me to upgrade it and I could not be happier about money spent. So often I have spent money for shareware and utilities only to feel I was not getting value for money. In this case I could not be more delighted.
Alfred's name and description may seem unimpressive. And that is the genius behind it. Alfred is the imagined "gentleman's gentleman," there to ease the difficulties and drudgeries of life, making everything more efficient. In the case of this app, it puts me on steroids.
The developer, Running with Crayons Ltd, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Running with Crayons Ltd
- 1.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.6 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012 Running with Crayons Ltd