Is your neighborhood stream safe for swimming and fishing? The beetles, insect larvae, snails, and other aquatic life hiding in your stream can tell you! We’ll show you how.
The ID ME app helps solve bug ID mysteries with a few simple questions. Start with a bug’s legs, tail, or body shape. Clear directions paired with simple line drawings walk you through each choice. Like magic, the name of your bug will appear along with a gallery of photographs and brief description of its key features.
Got the wrong bug? Hit the Not My Bug button and the app immediately shows you the top five most likely alternatives. You can also choose List All at any time for an alphabetized list of all common macroinvertebrates (insects and crustaceans) found in freshwater streams.
For resources and information on how to turn these bugs into a water quality rating, click About Us for links to data forms and instructions, training videos, an online database, and more.
1. Created for beginning and intermediate water quality monitors. Also great for anglers.
2. Easy-to-use, step-by-step identification of the most common macroinvertebrates found in freshwater streams throughout the United States.
3. Accurate descriptions, line drawings, and photographs illustrate each aquatic insect and crustacean.
4. Simple, clear navigation.
5. Not My Bug feature to help with the most common mistakes in aquatic bug ID.
6. Free! The Izaak Walton League’s goal in providing this app is to make it easy to explore local streams and monitor water quality in your neighborhood.
Fixed minor bugs.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good, but some hiccups for novices
This is a good app, I've used it several times. For some bugs it's quite straight forward, and the pictures really help.
I do think there are some improvements that could be made. For example there is not an easy way to determine the difference between caddis fly larva and common net spinning caddis fly larva with this app. Also, I had a helgramite for sure, but couldn't get to it using the apps prompts. I knew what it was but couldn't get the app to get me there.
But overall it's good, and useful. I look forward to the next version.
Helped me identify the bugs in my creek
I have a ton of sow bugs and I was trying to figure out what they were. Now I know thanks to this app.
Not very useful
This app only identifies to order. If the guy who said that he is trained in aquatic macroinvertebrates cannot identify one to order without this (or any) app was not very well trained.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.