Frustrated by calorie counting? Ditch it!. Discover the best mindful food journaling app that doesn't count calories. Start on the path today!
HEALTH IS PHYSICAL, MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, and sometimes SOCIAL.
Focusing on all four reveals true potential!
Ate Food Journal promotes mindfulness, positive self-talk, and is easy-to-use.
Only 3 taps to log a meal. Try it today!
Ate makes it easy to:
- Quickly capture meals using photos.
- Reflect on and record the reason for eating.
- Quickly glance at the most recent meal, using Widgets.
- Record water, activities, emotions, and daily notes.
- Build sustainable healthy behaviors for lasting change.
- Experiment with new habits, to see what works best.
- Look back on previous eating experiments.
- Automatically track fasting (IF 16/8).
- Share the journey with friends or a coach.
- Share the day on Social media, if desired.
- Export stats and entries for the past 7-days as a beautiful PDF.
- Timeline/Profile web sharing (read-only).
- Customize Q&As under meal details for more personalized tracking.
- Use giant Emojis to answer self-written questions for easy selection and fun.
- Customize Experiments and Lookback option.
- Sync with Apple Health for Activity & Water.
- Create favorites to reuse for meal photos.
Mindless eating is a thing of the past with Ate!
Start food journaling today with the #1 Mindful Photo Food Journal — Ate!
Ate is a subscription based app with a 7-day FREE trial. See subscription details below.
So why we built Ate?
With all the distractions and stress in our lives, it's easy to eat mindlessly. Often it’s hard to remember what and why we ate.
Mindless eating has an impact on health — physical, mental, and emotional.
Diets and other quick fixes don’t work in the long run. Sometimes they even cause more stress and frustration.
Ate was built with this in mind. It’s a judgement-free mindful diary that is thoughtfully designed to help increase self-awareness of eating habits, behaviors, and feelings.
Ate is an easy to use food journal built around positive reinforcement. It fits easily into life and is a joy to use. Ate reveals existing healthy behaviors and shows how to turn them into healthy habits. Ate also provides guidance on how to turn unhealthy habits into healthy ones.
Ate worked with health professionals around the world and built this app on journaling techniques that have been proven over decades.
Ate Food Journal is not about crash diets or restrictive living by calorie counting. It’s about building a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. A better version of one’s self, one small habit at a time. One that is easily maintained and enjoyed in the long run.
Download the Ate Food Diary today and start on a new path!
Ate does not run ads.
Ate does not share personal data with others, ever.
Ate respects privacy, as a top priority.
Ate is a subscription app that comes with a 7-day FREE trial.
Sign up for monthly or yearly auto-renewing plans which will start at the end of the FREE trial period. The subscription gives you full, unlimited access to the app- no hidden fees, gated features, or ads. It enables Ate to continuously provide new features and updates, while maintaining a private and secure environment for you to journal in.
Subscription processing is handled by Apple. Your credit card will be charged through your Apple App Store account when you confirm your purchase. Subscription renews automatically at the same price unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription term. You can manage subscriptions in Account Settings in the Apple App Store after purchase. Refunds will not be provided for any unused portion of the subscription term.
Brand new Quick Meal Capture (just swipe right), Quick Capture Widgets, Customizable Pre-post questions, Water stats, Movement stats, and new Capture menu for easier and faster journaling. Enjoy the journey!
Ate now has a new navigation bar, based on feedback from the community, Capturing meals, activities, water, and feelings is now easier from the new Capture menu. (+)
Swipe right on any of the screens to open the Quick Meal Capture view with options to take a photo, import a photo or to save a meal as Text-only.
New Ate Widgets to directly launch the Quick Meal Capture or the new Capture Menu from the home screen.
Add optional Pre-meal questions directly into the capture flow. Quickly capture "Why" you are about to eat for some mindful self-reflection.
Reminder function is now easily accessible in the navigation bar. Change the text and time they arrive to help with staying on path.
Love Ate? Rate it in the App Store!
Feedback is really important to Ate. It helps Ate become even better. Hearing actual stories from people who use Ate is an inspiration.
For Health Coaches!
Ate Coach Dashboard is built specifically for coaches, based on feedback from coaches. More at youate.com/coach
Questions or feedback are always welcome! Reach out to Ate via the in-app support channel or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ratings and Reviews
The little things are big...
After YouFood ended, I was lost. I loved taking pics of my food to keep a journal, but at some point, I realized that habitually taking the photo just became habit and I always wished for more. So far, it seems that “Ate” has it. First, as simple s concept as it is, I love, love, love the on and off path option. Actively saying that I am “on path” is an motivator😇 that I did not anticipate. Likewise, who wants to admit that they’re “off path” 🤷🏽♀️? I also love the integration of my water and exercise efforts as well. I’ve only been doing it for three days, so I haven’t really gotten into all of the other benefits but I also like the idea of tracking why I eat, whether I eat at home or out, how the meal was prepared, how I was feeling when I ate and a big one...who I ate with 😉! I have a feeling that in time, I’m going to see some real trends that will expose for me why I eat the way I eat and more importantly how much I eat. Aside from always saying “I just love food”, that’s a question that I don’t think I’ve truly figured out just yet. Now, I just need to find some friends for more accountability. I’m trying the upgrade and had marked my calendar to cancel after 14 days, planning to be unfulfilled, but I know already that I’m in. Yearly plan paid for. Wish me luck! P.S. I swear I’m not a developer or a friend or family member of theirs and I can prove it. Just try it and see for yourself! 😂😂
Most useful and efficient food tracking
I’ve tried myfitnesspal calorie counting, daily photo journals, and also just writing out the food but the interface of this app is aesthetically pleasing and visually appealing as well as directed. The option to chose “off path” or “on path” with the reminder of what your current goal is at the top of the screen is brilliantly simple and helps me to minimize obsessive food thoughts like “I ate so bad I’m so fat” or “i ate an apple today so that makes up for the ice cream and chips and cookies I ate the rest of the day” etc etc. It even lets you make a collage of your food pictures at the end of the day, which is a perfect way to visualize what you’re putting into your body. Oh, and you can track calories in the comments under your picture but you can also track where you ate, if you ate alone or with people, why you ate, and how it made you feel which is a genius way to help people make the lifestyle change into eating healthier (instead of forcing yourself to eat ‘healthy’ foods you despise you can focus on the healthy foods you adore). I’ve been searching for an app like this for years and I’m very happy I’ve finally come across it. I hope to use it for a while, and I really appreciate that it’s a free app with no ads. Hands down my favorite health app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks. Happy to hear that it's working out for you and that it made your favorite health app list. Enjoy your path!
So far, so good!
I’ve been using ate for about a week, and there are several things I love about it:
1. Flexibility. The app allows me to define my own goal, how I want to try to achieve it, and which factors I want to track.
2. Ease. Tracking calories is tedious, especially if you cook a lot of your own food, and it can be impossible when you eat out. And really, I know when I’m making healthy choices and when I’m not. With ate, all I have to do is take a quick photo (only momentarily awkward over lunch with colleagues) and follow up later to answer a few questions about it.
3. Positivity. The app encourages me to think about how I make choices about food and how those choices make me feel, rather than focusing solely on calories or weight goals. This seems more sustainable — if I feel better today because I ate better, I’m likely to continue eating better, instead of giving up because I’m discouraged by my slowly changing body. I also like that the app subtly encourages me to aim to be 70% to 90% on track, as a reminder not to get down on myself for occasional treats.
4. Graphs! I love data. And since I tend to compartmentalize poor dietary choices from meal to meal and day to day, it’s exactly what I need to give myself perspective on how I’m doing overall, not just today.
Developer Response ,
Great to hear that you are loving the app. Our goal was to build an easy to use photo based food diary that is non-judgmental and helps you make a sustainable lifestyle change. Feel great about what you ate!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Piqniq Inc.
- 92.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Piqniq, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Food Diary Premium - Monthly $9.99
- Food Journal Premium - Monthly $7.99
- Food Diary Premium - Yearly $49.99
- Food Journal Premium - Yearly $39.99
- Food Journal Premium Quarterly $17.99
- Food Diary Premium - Quarterly $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.