This app is for physicians (not the lay public). All babies lose weight after childbirth, but different amounts of weight loss warrant different levels of alarm. This app quickly and easily lets a clinician enter a birth weight in any units of measure and a current weight in any units of measure, then reports the % weight loss thus far, and shows 5%, 10%, and 15% weight loss thresholds. For failure to thrive (FTT) management and supervised feeding, a clinician needs to calculate weight gain per day over a time interval, which this app does. Finally, clinicians have to practice at hospitals and offices where a variety of units are used for length, weight, and temperature. This app converts any measurement into all appropriate units instantly.
The app answers questions such as
- this baby was born 7 lbs 2 oz, what weights would represent 5%, 10%, and 15% weight loss?
- this baby now weighs 6 lbs 11, what percentage weight loss is that?
- the FTT infant I'm caring for weighed 8 lbs 3 oz last week, and now 9 days later weighs 8 lbs 6.5 oz, what weight gain per day in grams would that be?
- what is the length in centimeters of a baby born 19 1/4"?
This app offers no medical management guidance. It just assists clinicians to transform various measurements into the data one needs to make management decisions.
As an educator and clinician myself, I am eager for feedback, including more calculators which might serve pediatricians and family physicians caring for newborns and infants in hospital and clinic.
- Joshua D. steinberg
- 684 KB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2020 Joshua Steinberg MD, Jessie Reynolds MD, Paula Dygert MD
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.