In 1726, while on an 80-day ocean voyage from London to Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin developed a plan and corresponding chart for regulating his future conduct.
He based his plan on a chart of thirteen virtues. He committed to giving strict attention to one virtue each week - placing a mark on his chart each time he transgressed that week’s virtue. After thirteen weeks he moved through all thirteen virtues. He would repeat the course four times a year.
Use this modern incarnation of Benjamin Franklin’s original chart to improve and regulate your daily conduct. Every evening review your day. Tap the day's date to place a mark if you transgressed the week's virtue. One virtue is highlighted every week and the whole chart should be completed four times in a year. The goal is to live your days - giving strict attention to each virtue - without having to place any marks on your chart.
Thank you for checking out Ben's Virtues. If you like the app please leave a review. If you have any issues or suggestions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a quick response.
Version 3.1.1 includes some basic virtue statistics and some updates to improve user experience and stability. Updates include:
- Added statistics (tap the Settings tab to see your strongest and weakest virtues and more)
- App opens to the chart when tapping on notification
- Small improvements in the chart logic
- Small update in the chart user experience
- Stability and performance improvements
- Additional improvements to better sync with Ben’s Virtues on Apple Watch
- Fixed a typo in the description for sincerity (thanks to those who noticed)
Thank you for using Ben’s Virtues.
“Well done is better than well said.”
- Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1737
Ratings and Reviews
Updates remove data
Love the app, but your update just wiped out all of my data from the past several weeks and started me over at the beginning. Maybe you could add that to your bug list next time.
Developer Response ,
Version 3.0 – just released – addresses some stability issues found in previous versions. Please let me know what your experience is if you get a chance to upgrade to the latest version. Thank you.
Please make it able to cycle through the thirteen weeks as is, but still able to mark on the other virtues, so that you can reflect on how that weeks virtue focus effects your progress on the other virtues. Then this would be a five star app for me.
A good app that could be great
• Doesn't let you modify virtues to focus on the ones most important to you; you can only track the 13 virtues that Franklin chose.
• If Franklin transgressed against a virtue multiple times on one day, he'd make multiple check marks in that column. This app only lets you make one mark per day.
• Although Franklin emphasized one particular virtue each week, he tracked all 13 virtues every day. This app only lets you track one virtue at a time.
• Simple, clean design
• Provides helpful info on Franklin's definition of each of the 13 virtues.
• Easy way to track a different virtue every week.
• When I emailed the developer mentioning my above criticisms, he responded with a prompt and friendly email. He mentions that he's considering developing a pro version that would add multiple checkmarks per day, and tracking of multiple virtues. I'd be very interested in seeing that, and I hope he'll find the time to develop it.
BOTTOM LINE: Although it's not perfect, it's a solid, useful app. Plus, it's free.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Reason Interactive
- 58.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Reason Interactive, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.