Hamaguchi Apps for Speech, Language & Auditory Development presents this groundbreaking app for the iPad designed for elementary students and up, who would benefit from practice interpreting vocal intonation, facial expressions, perspective-taking, body language, and idiomatic or slang expressions. Using real photographs, voices and short mini-video clips of a variety of social situations and expressions, this app provides a dynamic way to help learn and practice interpreting the messages that are “between the lines” and simply can’t be replicated with worksheets and static flashcards. Scenes for the body language activity include a shopping mall, kitchen, restaurant, park, bedroom, school, gym, birthday party and more.
*THIS IS NOT A SOCIAL SKILLS MODELING APP. Some people say and do things that are rude, such as interrupt a conversation, say something that is insensitive, lie, etc. That is why we suggest adult coaching to supervise and provide input regarding situational language use.
Check our demo on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRy4QF1E1Y8
This is Level 1, which presents content that is an introduction to our Between the Lines app series. This app uses American expressions and body language.
There are three activities in this app, with 204 tasks total:
1. Listening: The user hears a voice speak a sentence, e.g., “Ewww!” A question is then asked, “Who said it?” The user is shown a series of photographs and touches the correct one.
2. Body Language: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an interaction or situation. For example, a family is shown at a restaurant. A friend walks up and says, “Hey, did you hear the news about Mr. Becker?” (smiling) The camera closes in on this woman and the narrator says, “What is she thinking?” The user’s task is to look at the choices of responses and select the one that matches the facial expression/body language.
3. Expressions: A very short video-clip is shown that depicts an actor speaking a sentence that contains an idiomatic or slang expression, e.g., “She’s kind of nosy.’” The user is then asked, “What does that mean?” There is a separate setting (a new feature!) that allows the user to select several slang/crude phrases to be incorporated if desired such as, "pissed off", "feel like crap" etc. (The default does not include these phrases. They must be specifically selected.)
The game can be played by up to 75 users or as a group. The percentage correct is reported for each user’s performance on each of the three activities. Individual users can select their own settings; the group must have the same setting selections for the entire group.
Progress can be tracked, and displayed or not. Reward animations are provided at selected intervals for a welcome fun and break including Dunk Tank, Bull’s Eye (darts), and Knock ‘Em Down. These are not games of skill but a fun diversion.
A perfect app for speech therapy and for children with social communication difficulties!
*Please contact our tech support if you are experiencing any technical issues with our apps. We cannot respond to reviews and there are generally easy solutions to every issue. firstname.lastname@example.org
Designed by Patti Hamaguchi, M.A., CCC-SLP, a licensed and ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist. Check out our other apps at www.hamaguchiapps.com
Ratings and Reviews
Good app but buggy
need to get the bugs worked out. I use this with my 3rd-6th graders. It is engaging and teaches many social nuances. My kids lke the videos, it has a lot to choose from. Just work the bugs out with the data collection piece (great feature when it works all the time). Sometimes it puts another users name down, sometimes it does not collect the data, sometimes my reinforcer will go off when it should not. I will definitely keep using your apps. Good content. More perspective taking please!
Highly recommended but not perfect
All of the between the lines apps are great because of the way they put language and social language skills in real life mini-video contexts. Skills addressed are listening for tone of voice and identifying facial expressions; body language and perspective taking; and understanding idiomatic expressions and slang. The expressions are everyday common expressions rather than cliche “raining cats and dogs” our English teachers taught us about. My only complaints are use of a few slang terms that pop up and may be considered unacceptable material for school age students. I come from a traditional conservative area and my administration and parents would not approve. There was a switch in settings at one time to omit objectionable slang but it is no longer in settings. The other flaw I see is the instant progression new stimulus when the student selects one of the multiple choice answers. Very often I would like to discuss the choice and review the video after an answer is chosen but the next item is shown and video automatically playing. There is also no way to go back to a previous item.
Fave app for Speech Therapy, when it is working.
I have all 3 levels of this app. I have used it for years in Speech Therapy sessions. Since I updated, I can no longer open the apps. They stay open for a few seconds and then shut down. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, but data is lost each time and it no longer helps. Was definitely a five+ star app, prior to recent issues (since about January).
Developer Response ,
Hello and thanks for writing about this issue. We have uploaded a bug fix for this. Please update your app and it should work fine. Another solution is to delete the app from your desktop (hold the icon down until it jiggles, delete) and redownload from the App Store. A fresh copy will fix this issue. If you are still having any problems please contact us at email@example.com. We apologize for the hassle with this latest bug and thank you for your patience. Your friends at Hamaguchi Apps
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC
- 227 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 9–11
- © Copyright 2012 Hamaguchi Apps, a division of Hamaguchi Learning & Development, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.