Blockquote is an editor for Markdown and plain text documents that puts you in full control. Full support for the Files app means you can work with your documents your way. View, create, and edit Markdown and plain text documents in any app that supports the Files app, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Onedrive, iCloud, Box, git repositories, WebDAV servers, and more!*
> Full support for iOS 12 and the Files app
Blockquote integrates so well with iOS that you'll forget how you managed without it. And support for the Files app means you can open the same document in more than one app at the same time. Get creative with your workflows - Blockquote is flexible enough to handle it!
> Markdown thumbnails in Files app
View thumbnails of the contents of your Markdown documents in the Files app so you can recognize your files at a glance.
> Automatically open and view Markdown files in Blockquote
Tapping on a Markdown document in the Files app will immediately open it in Blockquote.
> Comprehensive Markdown support
- automatic linking
- ordered and unordered lists
- check lists
- inline and block preformatted text
- images (remote only)
- block quotes
- horizontal rules
- LaTeX (premium upgrade required)
> Live preview
A side-by-side preview lets you see exactly what your Markdown document looks like as you type it.
> Flexible interface
Easily view your Markdown document as plain-text or as rendered HTML with a quick tap of a button.
> Clean design
Few, intelligently placed buttons are there when you need them and easily ignored when you don't.
> Robust text editor
A fast, clean editing experience means you'll love using Blockquote for working with all of your plain text files.
Blockquote was designed to protect your documents first-and-foremost. Quit the app at any time and it will save your document for you. Work with large files with ease and confidence.
> Split View and Slide Over support for iPad
Multitasking is built into Blockquote with Split View and Slide Over support.
> Absolutely no privacy-invading ads
Use Blockquote confidently knowing that no ads will track your every movement.
> Good privacy practices
Premium Features (purchased with a one-time payment):
> Get rid of upgrade reminders
Use Blockquote without any interruptions and gain several useful features.
> Export Markdown to HTML and PDF
Take advantage of Markdown's versatility and export your documents to HTML and PDF files, complete with CSS.
> Print formatted Markdown files
Great for shopping lists and to-do's.
> Syntax highlighting
Work on your Markdown documents effortlessly with syntax highlighting in the editor.
> LaTeX support
Write LaTeX math right alongside your Markdown to get the best of both worlds: easy formatting of Markdown with the power of LaTeX.
> Do more from the keyboard with keyboard shortcuts
Navigate the app efficiently with keyboard shortcuts so you can work on your documents with fewer interruptions.
> Be more productive with a Markdown keyboard
Quickly type hashtags, dashes, and more with an easy-to-use Markdown keyboard.
> Markdown themes
Choose from 13 different hand-crafted themes to display your Markdown.
> Access to future premium features
Upgrade once and get all future updates.
> Support a student's education
I'm an independent developer and student who makes apps that I find useful and hope you do too.
*Third party apps and accounts are required for access to cloud services. Blockquote by itself does not provide any cloud functionality.
Blockquote is not affiliated with nor endorsed by John Gruber or Markdown.
Markdown Pro is now Blockquote! This version has a ton of new features and fixes! Without further ado, here's what's new:
- [NEW] Syntax highlighting in the editor! Requires the premium upgrade. (Thanks to user feedback!)
- [NEW] Find links to Blockquote's Twitter and Mastodon from the About page in the app.
- [IMPROVED] Settings are now located in the Settings app. You can find a convenient shortcut in Blockquote that will take you right to Blockquote's settings.
- [IMPROVED] Added keyboard shortcuts to toggle LaTeX rendering and syntax highlighting, change the theme, and open Blockquote's settings.
- [IMPROVED] You can now show and hide the Markdown keyboard on iPad by tapping the Symbols button along the top of the keyboard. (Thanks to user feedback!)
- [IMPROVED] New documents are now created as plain text files by default. When creating a new document, you have the option to specify a custom file type.
- [IMPROVED] Now you can compose and send an me an email right from the app. Just go to About > Contact to begin composing an email with the To and Subject fields prefilled for you.
- [IMPROVED] Improvements to LaTeX parsing. Specifically, LaTeX must be enclosed by LaTeX delimiters, such as $, and must be followed by a space. In 99% of normal usage, LaTeX rendering should not behave any differently than it did. This change is only to prevent rendering sequences such as prices as LaTeX.
- [IMPROVED] More informative error dialogs.
- [IMPROVED] Document handling is much more robust. Specifically, Blockquote better handles conflicts. The app is also better at handling situations where a document is being edited and read simultaneously by other apps. That means you can more confidently edit a document in your favorite text-editing app and preview the Markdown in Blockquote all at the same time!
- [IMPROVED] Blockquote now uses markdown-it to process Markdown. This should eliminate most of the bugs that arise from certain uncommon Markdown sequences, such as several consecutive horizontal rules.
- [IMPROVED] A lot of behind-the-scenes improvements. These aren't apparent from using the app, but they set the stage for future improvements!
- [FIXED] LaTeX fonts load properly now. You might have noticed that certain special characters and large brackets weren't rendering correctly. That is now fixed!
- [FIXED] When creating a new file, the file name is no longer automatically capitalized. This was causing problems with hardware keyboards and was not consistent with the behavior of the Files app.
- [FIXED] Changed all references to Markdown Pro to Blockquote.
- [FIXED] Updated contact details.
Ratings and Reviews
Good app...needs a couple of features
I’ll second the request for a find/replace function. In addition, I’d like to request the preview scroll along with the edit view, and vice-versa. It’s frustrating to try to find your place in the second view.
Otherwise, a very good effort at a markdown editor.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review!
I’m working on find and replace, but I need to release this next major update first. I really want to add synchronized scrolling, but it is a really difficult feature to get right. For now, this is still in the R&D stage. I’m adding syntax highlighting in the next update (which is coming soon!), so that will hopefully make it easier to find your place in the editor and to match up “landmarks” like headers and block quotes between the editor and preview.
As always, keep the feedback coming!
Love the app. I’m trying to purchase it, but the purchase page is taking too long to come back up, lol. Maybe if I could just go to settings and just pay for it (hopefully that’s not something I’ve just overlooked). UPDATE: Found it, lol.
Some sort of double bracket ( eg. [[file name]] ) support would be excellent. Especially one that auto suggests as you type (like Obsidian).
I’m pretty much looking for a way to access my Obsidian vault on an iPad and work with it more or less the same as I do on the computer.
Oh, maybe a toggle option too, so I can collapse certain sections if I don’t want to look at them while I’m working on a different part of the writing.
Anyway, love the app.
Exactly the app I needed/wanted
This is a perfect Markdown App for me, providing fantastic, rapid previews, and most importantly, excellent LaTeX integration. Thank you! It’s been a dream to be able to write Markdown (my blog is markdown based) on an iPad, so much easier than pulling out a laptop now that I have this app. Only thing I could see as an improvement would be ability to add images.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind review! Adding support for local images will be difficult to implement because iOS lets document-based apps access only one file at a time, but I am looking into it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Muhammad-Sharif Moustafa
- 13.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Muhammad-Sharif Moustafa