BoneBox™ - Skull Viewer 12+
Designed for iPad
The BoneBox™ Skull Viewer is compatible with the New iPad and the iPad 2. Due to the extremely high resolution models and textures, this app is not compatible with the first generation iPad.
The BoneBox™ Skull Viewer is a real-time 3D medical education tool that features exceptionally detailed anatomical skull models and unique interactive elements. It is the first in a new series of apps developed specifically for the iPad 2 and the New iPad by a team of anatomists, certified medical illustrators, animators, and programmers using actual human CT imaging data, and cutting-edge 3D modeling techniques.
Interaction with the BoneBox™ Skull Viewer utilizes true “real-time 3D”. Unlike other anatomical apps and programs, there are no pre-rendered frames or animations. Therefore, the user can orient the 3D skull in any position and zoom in to any location to explore anatomical structures.
The BoneBox™ Skull Viewer is appropriate for users at all levels, from secondary students to medical professionals.
• Views: By selecting the “Views” menu he user can interact with sagittal, coronal, and transverse sections of the skull. Color-coded, didactic models clearly show the bones that comprise the skull.
• Pins: By turning on the color coded pins, the user can study the names and locations of over 100 anatomical structures, including: bones, foramina, and prominent anatomical features. The pins and labels remain on screen and in the exact anatomical location during all real time 3D user interaction.
• Pen tool: Drawing with the multi-colored pen tool allows the user to draw directly on the surface of the 3D skull for use in the clinic, or classroom.
• Quizzing: The BoneBox™ Skull Viewer an excellent tool for any anatomy lecture or lab. Using the custom pin tool, instructors can place color-coded pins anywhere on the skull. Once placed, the instructor can write a question on the label of that pin. Students can then rotate the skull in 3D to gain a better understanding of that pin’s location on the model.
iSO-FORM is a team of award winning medical artists, programmers and innovators who believe that we are on the verge of a new era of learning, where the user doesn’t just memorize facts, but discovers them through engaging interaction and exploration. We’re passionate about science, technology and art, so we live and work at that intersection. If we’ve piqued your curiosity, check us out at: www.iso-form.com.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Updated for iOS 11
Ratings and Reviews
Nice, but wish it had more...
This runs fine on my iPad Air, although I have not tried the pins or notations features. The Skull rotates very smoothly and without stutter. There are various views such as color coding and cross-sections to help you view the Skull in different ways. I wish the app had educational information built in rather than just the Skull, such as narrated audio information, tips, interesting facts, and so on. As it is, you are on your own as to actually understanding what you are seeing.
This app rocks! Although, every time I try to save custom pins it crashes on me. When I pull it back up 95% of my pins/lines are gone. Please fix!
Great for med students but cannot save custom pins and lines
This app is great for studying the rather complicated anatomy of the skull. I love that you can zoom in and out and rotate the image in 3D. However, there are some structures that I need to know that are not included with the app, and every time I try to save new pins, the app crashes. So, for the most part this is great but it would get 5 stars if I could save additional pins.
The developer, iSO-FORM, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- iSO-FORM, LLC
- 122.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2017 iSO-FORM, LLC