Effectively learn, practice and test Unified English Braille (UEB, a system of touch reading for visually impaired people) with a unique method. Learn while playing.
- 13 chapters, namely Letters, Numbers, Basic Punctuations, Special Symbols, Alphabetic Wordsigns, Strong Contractions, Strong Wordsigns, Strong Groupsigns, Lower Groupsigns, Lower Wordsigns, Initial Letter Contractions, Final Letter Groupsigns and Shortform Words.
- teaches strategically Braille of all 26 letters of the English alphabet, numbers 0 - 9, 12 most frequently used punctuation marks, 8 most frequently used special symbols, 23 alphabetic word signs, 38 contractions, 12 wordsigns, 34 groupsigns and 75 short-form words.
- 59 levels and 29 challenges in total teach, train and test more than 90% of the entire Unified English Braille knowledge.
- (NEW!) various themes to choose from including the Contrast theme (more contrast and bolder text) for visually impaired.
- absolutely no disturbing ads.
- on the Explore page, you can click and see the Braille representations of all the 26 letters, numbers 0 - 9, 12 punctuation marks and 8 special symbols.
- after passing all the levels and challenges in one chapter, you can get a certificate on the Certificate page.
- on the Settings page, you can switch on and off button sound, key sound, button vibration, key vibration vibration on error and keyboard layout.
- more learning and training materials will be added in the future updates.
- works completely offline.
Please note, this app is not specially designed for people with severe visual impairment, but with feedback and suggestions from them, we are certainly working in that direction (improving talkback/voiceover experiences).
Braille is a system of touch reading and writing for visually impaired people, in which raised dots represent the letters of the alphabet, numbers, punctuation marks, special symbols and so on. It is named after its creator, Louis Braille, a Frenchman who lost his sight in his childhood and later developed a code for the French alphabet. These characters have rectangular blocks called cells which have tiny bumps called raised dots. The number and arrangement of these dots distinguish one character from another.
What’s Braille Academy?
Braille Academy is developed to help those who are curious about and interested in learning the Braille system. The two key teaching concepts are gradual introduction and focused repetition. The learning material is categorized into chapters and then levels to ensure efficient learning and training. If you are not particularly interested in Braille but in training and improving your memory in general, Braille Academy is also a useful tool.
Levels and challenges?
In short, a level focuses on introducing new characters with a small amount of repetition while a challenge trains what you’ve learnt already. In a level, you can click the INFO BUTTON (on the left) to read some TIPS and the hint button (on the right) to see the correct answer. The hints are infinite and always free. In a challenge, you can’t use the hint button anymore and you must make less than 3 mistakes to pass it.
In conclusion, I wish you a lot of success and a lot of fun in learning Braille!
- implementation of various themes including the Contrast theme (more contrast and bolder text) for visually impaired.
- option to discover and download similar apps or apps of your interest.
- UI & UX improvements and small bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I learned the entire braille alphabet in just an hour! I’m probably going to get premium so i can learn everything else. This makes braille super easy to learn at a great pace, thanks :)
Best contracted Braille practice
Excellent. Comprehensive contracted Braille and punctuation coverage. Intuitive interface. Enjoyable way to build Braille memory. Easy to see font. Thank you to the developer.
Developer Response ,
Hi friend from the US, thank you very much for your 5-star rating and kind words, and for supporting Braille Academy! In the newest version of Braille Academy, I added VoiceOver for the Braille cells (pronouncing the numbers) as well as for some buttons and texts to make the user experience for visually impaired people better. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any suggestions. Of course, if you have friends who are interested in touching reading, please don’t hesitate to recommend them my app. :) Have fun learning! ❤️
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Xiang Dong
- 31.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Dong Digital
- In-App Purchases
- Lifetime Premium $3.99
- Monthly Subscription $0.99