break is a lightweight, native app for accessing School Loop. It aims to provide an easier to use, more feature rich alternative to the official School Loop app. With it, you can:
• Do everything you can do with the official app. Check grades, send LoopMail–it's all there and easier to use than ever.
• Recieve notifications. Grade changed? Got new LoopMail? With break, you're always in the know.
• Access your locker, without your computer or iPad. Need to check on a file? Use the built-in file viewer, or switch over to a dedicated app in a flash.
• Add your own assignments to the gradebook, to see how they affect your grade. Change anything from the weighting of any category to the score of that regraded test and see the results immediately!
• Keep your grades away from prying eyes with an app password. If you have a device with Touch ID or Face ID, you can use it for extra security and convenience.
• Check your grades on the your wrist with the bundled Apple Watch app.
• Take advantage of the latest iOS technologies to enhance your experience. Animation, gestures, 3D Touch, SFSafariViewController…and much, much more!
Plus, break will always be free and open source!
Fix a bug with unmarking an assignment as done. Some (hopefully superfluous) nested calls to run code on the main queue have been dropped as well, which should ideally have no visible effects.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app, could use a few more features
This app is great for checking to see how my grade would change if I had received a different score, or the score I need to get a certain grade. However, I still use the regular school loop app for everything else because of its appearance. This app does not look that great: some colors for classes are very similar, the UI is bland, and the items are close together. If I could suggest a couple of features, I might say to add the ability to change the color of specific classes. I would also appreciate if the point value for assignments and the period they belong to are visible on the assignments page. Overall, this is a great app for experimenting with your grade, but I don’t think it is suitable (in my opinion) for primary use at this state.
Developer Response ,
break now uses a new coloring algorithm that is guaranteed to deterministically choose colors that are as dissimilar as possible, which hopefully resolves your issues with the color scheme. I'm continually looking for ways to change the UI for the better, so I'll keep your other suggestions in mind when designing parts of the app.
I just got this app, and I think it is going to be a lot better than the regular school loop app. One small thing that could be fixed is to make everything easier to read. For example, the regular app uses gray text instead of black for the less important parts. When I’m reading my list of courses, I don’t really need to know which teacher is teaching the class, so that part can be less obvious. Then the other more important parts would pop out more. Again, looking forward to using this app.
Better than official app, missing some details
I do think that this is much better than schoolloop's app, but assignments don't list how many points they are worth nor what weighting category they are in. A killer feature would be to add a button on a current assignment to let you theoretically see how it would affect your grade, letting the user input a number of points given and all of that.
Also, color bars for classes are slightly too thin for my taste, maybe widen them a bit. :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.