Full wordlist and sample entries are available to preview the dictionary content and to try the app functionality.
With 140,000 words, phrases and examples, meanings, British and American English word pronunciations, Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary, fourth edition is trusted by millions of English learners worldwide.
Every dictionary entry has thesaurus sections that show related words, phrases and synonyms for each meaning, helping you to expand your English knowledge. Informed by the Cambridge International Corpus, the dictionary is ideal for IELTS, BEC and Cambridge English: First, Advanced, and Proficiency exam preparation.
***** Great for those who learn English.
***** My favorite dictionary ever!
***** Smart thesaurus is awesome!!
• British and American English audio pronunciations, recorded by native speakers
• SMART Thesaurus feature gives you related words and phrases at every definition, , not just synonyms
• Flash Card Quiz to help you memorize new words
• Favourites - to help you quickly access frequently searched words
• Search History to revise your recent searches
• Table of English Irregular Verbs provides a useful reference resource
• CALD will understand and find a word from any grammatical form
• iOS Share. Select any text on Safari sites, emails and share with CALD to get words’ definitions
• Multiple clipboard look-up. Copy any text from other apps and view the words’ definitions one by one when you open the CALD
• Full Text Search. Look up words throughout the whole dictionary content, including headwords and usage examples
• Similar Words Search in case of misspelling
• Wildcard Search. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace letters if you’re unsure of the correct spelling.
• Anagram Search (e.g. tab-bat)
• Hyperlinks between entries: tap on the word in the article to see its definition
• No Internet connection required
• Modify animated menus and choose background colours
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort
• PenReader multilingual handwriting recognition support
Founded in the mid-16th century, Cambridge University Press is a world-leading publisher of English learning materials. Playing a leading role in today's global educational market, Cambridge University Press publishes titles written by authors in over 100 different countries.
If you need help using the app, please contact the developer at firstname.lastname@example.org. For other questions, please contact Cambridge at email@example.com
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Is it possible to synchronize the app data and the web account data?
I use app and web at the same time. If these two are synchronized, it’s much convenient to me.
Best of the best
Could not understand those who gave this 1 star and whining , just because it needed to be paid to fully accessible. Look at Meriam Webster, Oxford dictionary, they all did the same.
This is the best dictionary by far, coming from who used a number of ios dictionary (Meriam, Oxford...etc you name it). Worth every penny.
Hope the devs keep updating to make it bug-free app.
Make more accessible
Huge disappointment, since the web version is totally accessible for searching and exploring all kind of words and some good features.I was expecting to experience the same thing in the app, i even created my own words list on the web version hopping to Synchronizing it via the application but none of these were available unless you buy the whole version which the price of it is a bit exaggerated. I think I’m gonna stick with the web version until i find another alternative.
- Cambridge University Press
- 84.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Cambridge University Press
- In-App Purchases
- Cambridge English Dictionary $12.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.