Time is a teacher’s most valuable resource. Save time and use Canvas more efficiently from your mobile device with Canvas Teacher.
Canvas Teacher allows teachers to facilitate their courses on the go, both inside and outside the classroom. This app provides quick access to three of the most frequent course facilitation tasks for teachers:
• GRADING: Browse submissions and provide feedback to your students with a new and improved mobile SpeedGrader embedded in this app.
• COMMUNICATING: Send announcements and messages (including "Message Students Who..."), and participate in course discussions from the palm of your hand.
• UPDATING: Need to change a due date? Or publish an assignment? Or fix a misspelling? Canvas Teacher allows you to update your course content.
Canvas Teacher is the perfect mobile Canvas companion for course facilitation!
- Added a settings screen to the dashboard.
- Improved the contrast of dark theme colors.
- Improved the login flow by saving the last institution's login page.
- Fixed course header images are flickering on refresh.
- Fixed floating edit dialog buttons.
- Fixed comment text box not being tappable in SpeedGrader when Button Shapes a11y feature is enabled.
- Fixed annotation comment page's appearance in dark mode.
- Fixed read-only student annotations being movable in SpeedGrader.
- Fixed calendar events from other course sections showing up in syllabus summary.
- Fixed date picker date range handling logic.
- Fixed soft-concluded enrollments still appearing in the Inbox course list.
Ratings and Reviews
Crashes with IOS 13
UPDATED REVIEW: Canvas has fixed the problem and the Canvas Teacher’s app works wonderfully. As before iPadOS 13, it is easy to use to grade student essays or contact students. With this fix, I now give it a five-star review. It took a while, but... Well done, Canvas!!!
UPDATED REVIEW: I have spoken to several Canvas people and have been told Canvas is aware of the app crashing with iOS 13 or iPadOS 13 and they are working on an updated version of the app. I was told by one of their L2 engineers that he could not give me a date for when the new app version will be released. Until it is released, my one-star review must stand. (Why is it taking Canvas so long to fix this problem?)
PREVIOUS REVIEW:This was a great app until IOS 13. Since then, I cannot leave a comment within a highlighted section of text for a student paper because the app crashes —every time. My problem was reported to Canvas, and I get responses from their support staff as though they do not know what is going on. So I will tell Canvas what is going on: Your Teacher App is creasing after IOS 13 came out. Not that hard to understand (Canvas support people actually asked me for my “crash logs” from my iPad). Please fix this! If Canvas cannot fix this, the app is worthless and teachers would be better off going back to the desktop version. What a shame.
Combine with BookWidgets!
This app paired with book widgets allows me to grade French and Spanish worksheets so much faster and have self checking assignments for distance learning. We have it set to sync to infinite campus so s lot of data entry is accurately and reliably done for you. This is the first time in years and years that part of my workload was LESSENED! Such a time saver. It is so much easier to track kids’ work patterns. I spend time helping, not repeatedly grading the same answers on fill in the blank activities. I wish the Quiz portion of the app were more flexible. That part needs improvement to aide in engagement and making the kinds of paper and digital quizzes I make. It is far behind on that front but thankfully allows other software access. Zero regrets. I highly recommend the app to my students. It is very user friendly for distance learners.
Solid, but lacks basic features.
Overall, this is a solid app. However, it seems the developers did not take into account that we use this app to check-in on our courses while we’re on the go. We do not use it to facilitate our courses. Accessing your course through a mobile browser may be a better option depending upon what you’re trying to do.
- There is no ability to mark a message or discussion post as unread in the app. Once you open or view it, it cannot be marked as unread. If I don’t plan on responding at that very moment, I have to make a separate reminder to check it when I return to the desktop. I’ve basically stopped accessing messages and discussions through the app for this very reason. (In most cases, I’m not going to respond as soon as a student messages me, but I do want to read their message. Marking it as unread allows me to see the notification on the desktop where I prefer to respond.)
- The actual text from sent and received messages cannot be copied. Not being able to copy a portion of a previous message I have sent is frustrating. I frequently send the same explanations for assignments, etc. Having the ability to copy a portion of a message for another email - when I’m on the go - seems like an oversight on the developers’ behalf.
- To be continued...
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Instructure, Inc.
- 114.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Haitian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Maori, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Instructure