CanWork was developed by CanAssist at the University of Victoria. It promotes independence and builds confidence by helping people with cognitive challenges complete work-related tasks successfully. Virtually any task can be broken into a sequence of easy-to-follow steps. For a given task, a user might initially goes through the activity with a support person or family member. Together, they may take photos of each step in the task. Notifications ensure each work shift is brought to the user's attention in a timely manner.
*** WHO IS IT FOR? ***
CanWork is especially beneficial to people who have difficulty performing activities that require following a sequence of steps, including those with:
- Brain injury
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Developmental disabilities
- Dyslexia, literacy challenges, etc.
*** KEY FEATURES ***
- Schedule shifts: once scheduled, the app shows the current or upcoming shift on launch
- Receive notifications: the user is notified the day before a shift, 30 minutes before a shift starts, and 10 minutes before a shift ends
- Comprehensive support: tasks include day-before and same-day preparation, as well as work tasks proper
- Task sequencing: break each task into an easy-to-follow sequence of steps with optional photos
- Contact helpers: call or SMS caregivers, job coaches, or colleagues within the app
*** CANASSIST at the UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA ***
CanAssist at the University of Victoria is dedicated to developing customized technologies and services for people with disabilities, with a focus on clients in British Columbia, Canada.
+ Fixed a bug where PNG images could not be selected for use
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.