Chambers is the single-volume international English dictionary with the widest coverage of all the riches of the English language. Clear, accurate and occasionally witty definitions, with the latest new words from science, technology and contemporary culture.
This 13th Edition reflects the changes in our language, with special attention paid to new words that have emerged, new uses of old words and the most up-to-date pronunciation. The 13th Edition includes over 260,000 distinct words, compounds, phrases and derived forms.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Customize search options (case, derived forms, etc)
There are also standard bookmark, recent word and random word features. No Internet connection is required, and it supports Split View and Slide over for use with other apps on iPad.
The Chambers Dictionary is treasured by word-lovers and crossword enthusiasts for its majestic coverage of English and its tradition of sneaking in a sprinkling of light-hearted definitions. Alone among the single-volume dictionaries, it preserves a rich stock of words from our literary heritage as well as covering all the latest developments in contemporary English.
Chambers Thesaurus is also available as a separate app, and can easily be cross-referenced from the dictionary. Our WordWeb, Chambers, Collins and Oxford dictionaries are also available separately for Windows and Mac desktop.
Latest iPhone optimization. Button for one-touch switch to Chambers Thesaurus (if installed).
Ratings and Reviews
This Chambers app is an amazing app, like all of Word Webs.
Here are my recommendations to the developer for mobile:
(1) Just as with your desktop software, let you switch in tabs between all the dictionaries and thesauruses you purchase. That is a critical feature in your desktop applications and increases their value and makes it sensible to buy ALL your dictionaries. This would be a moneymaker for WordWeb and great for users.
(2) Why not sell your other desktop dictionaries on mobile? No work and more revenue, and your users would benefit.
Here is my recommendation regarding Desktop:
(1) Please make the spacing and placement of lines of text consistent as one switches between the tabs of WordWeb books.
(2) Please use MacOS built-in support for graphics card acceleration for more natural resizing on the wide variety of displays. It looks really bad as you resize and for a business to purchase this app for this users, that raises questions of longevity.
The very best for cryptic crosswords
This is the standard dictionary used by creators of cryptic (British-style) crosswords. If you do those, you’ll want this.
If you aren’t doing cryptics, this is still a great dictionary. For each word there is a list of definitions. The definitions themselves are very short and easy to understand. And I’m often surprised at just how many definitions they’ve documented for each word.
The common usages are defined, but so are obscure ones. The “setters” who create cryptic crosswords use lots of archaic words, and many obscure definitions of common words. All are in this dictionary.
A must have App
Very useful and I definitely recommend it to everyone
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.