Chess King (https://learn.chessking.com/) is an unprecedented chess teaching app. In the program are included courses in tactics, strategy, openings, middle game, and endgame, split by levels from beginners to experienced players, and even professional players.
With the help of this program, you can improve your chess knowledge, learn new tactical tricks and combinations, and consolidate the acquired knowledge into practice.
The program acts as a coach who gives tasks to solve and helps to solve them if you get stuck. It will give you hints, explanations and show you even striking refutation of the mistakes you might make.
Some courses contain a theoretical section, which explains the methods of the game in a certain stage of the game, based on actual examples. The theory is presented in an interactive way, which means you can not only read the text of the lessons, but also to make moves on the board and work out unclear moves on the board.
Advantages of the program:
• High quality examples, all double-checked for correctness
• You need to enter all key moves, required by the teacher
• Different levels of complexity of the tasks
• Various goals, which need to be reached in the problems
• The program gives hint if an error is made
• For typical mistaken moves, the refutation is shown
• You can play out any position of the tasks against the computer
• Interactive theoretical lessons
• Structured table of contents
• The program monitors the change in the rating (ELO) of the player during the learning process
• Test mode with flexible settings
• Possibility to bookmark favorite exercises
• The application is adapted to the bigger screen of a tablet
• The application does not require an internet connection
• VoiceOver support
• In the app, courses are divided by themes and levels, so you can choose a most suitable course
Each course includes a free part, in which you can test the program and exercises. Lessons offered in the free version are fully functional. They allow you to test the application in real world conditions before purchasing a full version. Each course should be bought separately, but you can buy a subscription which gives you an access to all courses for a limited time. Important information about subscriptions:
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current subscription period. Automatic renewals will cost the same price you were originally charged for the subscription.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
• Any unused portion of a free trial, if offered, will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription.
You can study the following courses in the app:
• Learn Chess: From Beginner to Club Player
• Chess Strategy & Tactics
• Chess Tactics Art (1400-1800 ELO)
• Bobby Fischer
• Manual of Chess Combinations
• Chess Tactics for Beginners
• Advanced Defense (Chess Puzzles)
• Chess Strategy (1800-2400)
• Total Chess Endgames (1600-2400 ELO)
• CT-ART. Chess Mate Theory
• Chess Combinations
• Chess Middlegame
• Chess Strategy for Beginners
• CT-ART 4.0 (Chess Tactics 1200-2400 ELO)
• Mate in 1, 2, 3-4
• Elementary Chess Tactics
• Chess Opening Blunders
• Chess Endings for Beginners
• Chess Opening Lab (1400-2000)
• Chess Endgame Studies
• Capturing Pieces
• Sergey Karjakin - Elite Chess Player
• Chess Tactics in Sicilian Defense
• Chess Tactics in French Defense
• Chess Tactics in Caro-Kann Defense
• Chess Tactics in Grünfeld Defense
• Chess School for Beginners
• Chess Tactics in Scandinavian Defense
• Mikhail Tal
• Simple Defense
• Magnus Carlsen - Chess Champion
* Added Arabic, Hebrew, Hungarian, Japanese, Norwegian, Swedish translations
* Added Chess King promo codes activation option
* Added colored markers for engine analysis (can be turned out by clicking in the "two arrows" icon)
* Improved iPhone XS support
* Animation fixes for Complete Chess Course 1-3
* Navigation fixes for iPads with iOS 12 and below
* Various fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Versatile app, appropriately requires work by the user
This is a very good concept for conveying chess training from experts to all levels of players. It essentially combines a book reader and ability to bookmark, a demonstration board to walk through the coursework, and a scratch board with an analysis engine against which one can play.
The courses are high quality and they existed before the app. In other words, this app is the medium that conveys tested and proven chess training courses, and it does it well.
It takes time to get used to its idiosyncrasies but the effort is worth it. The course material typically take effort to grasp, and that simply is a requirement for learning chess.
What’s the reasoning?
I am a longtime beginner. I have read books by Bobby Fischer on the approach to chess from a beginners perspective, which assigned the numerical values to the pieces. Pawn being lowest & Queen the highest. His attack strategy was capturing higher value pieces while sacrificing lower value pieces with the ultimate goal of placing a king in check that he cannot escape from ( checkmate). These exercises do little to teach one chess strategies because they do not explain these strategies. They simply tell you that it’s your move and what they want you to aaccomplish. So you make a wrong move say in the strategy of playing for advantage; all of these arrows appear( supposedly to guide your movement) but when you follow the arrows you are told that is an erroneous move! What’s the reasoning with the arrows then? It’s very confusing and frustrating. So then you guess, but invariably are wrong with your guess. Finally it shows the move you should have made, but there is no reason or explanation given other than the history of that particular maneuver in a match at some time in the history of match play! It might be elegant but you don’t ever understand how it came about? Maybe you should quit with the arrows and guide better!
Developer Response ,
Hi chesscrap! There are 2 parts in the lessons, theory and practice. The theory part tells you all you need to know in words, and the practice part tests your understanding. Some lessons have more theory, some have more practice. You can test each course with the 10% or 20% open material. If you want, you can subscribe to any option (for example all courses 1 month), and check out all of them, and choose which one you want to buy. You can cancel the subscription within 3 days and you will not be charged for it.
Great learning tool, excellent support
I have four chess courses purchased in this app. The are all of high quality. Some courses are exercises only, others have preparatory explanatory screens. All permit the user to continue playing against a chess engine at any intermediate or final position to check his own ideas. A demo version of each course is available for download before purchase. Email messages to the developers are generally answered overnight and are most helpful. The courses themselves are inexpensive and are well worth the cost; they are reworkings of the Convekta and Peshawar courses at a lower cost!
In-App PurchasesSee All
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- CHESSQUEEN INC
- 43.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, Dutch, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Chess King
- In-App Purchases
- Chess: From Beginner to Club $7.99
- Chess King Courses $9.99
- CT-ART 4.0 (Chess Tactics) $7.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.