tChess Pro is the high-quality, critically acclaimed chess game with the richest features for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It's perfect for every player:
Not everybody is a chess master! Most chess games are too strong or just make random mistakes at easier levels. tChess Pro has unique algorithms to simulate human opponents.
tChess Pro has a top-tier chess engine. (Over 380 ELO points stronger than Caissa Chess.)
tChess Pro's Analysis Mode is like having a chess master in your pocket. You can get the engine's "expert opinion" about any game or position in real-time: which side is winning, and the best sequence of moves. Just like a professional desktop chess package.
More key features:
- Perfect for 1- or 2-player games
- Strong computer opponent
- Play against any ELO rating from 500 to 2500
- Integrated "Learn Chess" e-book app (Apple Staff Favorite!)
- Opening Library feature lets you explore chess opening theory as you play
- PGN Database feature lets you download and view PGN files
- Support for 3-stage time controls with Fischer increments
- Position Editor to enter positions from books, newspapers, etc.
- Save and load games; export them in standard PGN format
- Use the Profile feature to play rated games against the computer and track your progress
tChess Pro is developed by Tom Kerrigan, author of the TSCP and Stobor chess engines.
- Added a button to rotate the board in the Analyze Game feature
- Added the ability to review your opponent's last move if he requests a takeback
- Added a "Saved Time Controls" feature
- Added a setting to control the sound volume (in the Interface tab)
Ratings and Reviews
Solid Chess Game
I wrote a review for this app a few years ago. The update is great.
Why so few people have written reviews I find amazing....this chess app keeps getting updated and supported!!!
It can handle pgns!
This is a good app with a decent number of online users. I have come across many avid chess players.
In addition to my previous review the new update is solid. Only draw back maybe to much animation with the bouncing ball balloon thingy when you make a move. Overall a good solid chess app with Multiplayer support is solid. This chess app is still updated & solidly supported!!!!! Many are not. Call me a fan boy but this is a solid app & you can save and transfer games big plus to analyze later.
Great app, excellent features.
I’ve been using this app for quite a while. Can’t even remember when I initially bought it. Even though I frequently try out some of the newer/different apps, I keep coming back to this one as my main chess app.
I really like the clean, uncluttered look. Just an excellent rendered chess board (with many different style choices if desired) and an easy to use set of powerful features.
Also, superb customer support. I recently noticed a small bug and notified the developer via email. He had it fixed and an update on the app store the next day — which, considering the App store’s normal turnaround time is a superhuman effort.
Geezer relearns chess
In the Army in Alaska in the late 50s, I learned and played a ton of chess and got pretty good at it. Since then, however, life interfered with pleasure, and I have played little to none since. Retired now, I’d like to return to the game but am astonished at how much I have forgotten about it. After trying several apps, I have settled on this one as the pick of the litter. One can turn the clock on and off and adjust the computer’s skill level (I took it down to the bottom and am working my way back up). The one small difficulty I had was resolved overnight by Mr. Kerrigan, and I am greatly enjoying the game again.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tom Kerrigan
- 7.8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Tom Kerrigan
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.