CipherBob continues to evolve!
Features we have planned for the next major release include:
• Morse code training
• Improved iPad layout
• Improved MacOS support
Have fun learning about and using some of the most important ciphers and codes used throughout history and satisfy your inner nerd in the process!
Have you ever been intrigued by secret codes and ciphers?
Have you ever wondered how messages were encrypted before computers existed?
Have you been fascinated by the story of the Enigma machine and wanted to know how it worked?
Inspired by a visit to Bletchley Park in England, home of the UK codebreakers during the 1939-1945 world war, CipherBoB lets you explore some of the most important codes and ciphers used throughout history.
Using CipherBob you can create ciphers of each type and then use these to encipher messages to send to your friends or decipher messages received from your friends and in the process learn about the ciphers you use. The app includes a brief summary of the history of each cipher type as well as step by step walk through of how each cipher worked.
Ciphers currently included in the app are:
* Caesar ciphers - the cipher that Julius Caesar used for all his secret communications
* Substitution ciphers - the natural successor of the Caesar cipher and still used today
* Polybius Square ciphers - perhaps the first fractionating cipher
* Book ciphers - perhaps the favourite cipher of mystery writers and movies
* Morse code - want to try your hand at tapping out some Morse or perhaps you have some Morse audio you want to capture and decode. You can also copy and paste Morse code audio between CipherBoB and other apps
* The infamous Enigma machine - you can use our Enigma engine to encrypt/decrypt messages between you and your friends or configure the engine to decode the messages used in the many books and movies on the subject
* Lorenz - perhaps the least well known yet critically important cipher of World War II (WWII) with some saying its significance was greater than that of Enigma!
* Public/Private key ciphers - the cornerstone of a secure internet, learn how they work from a very simple implementation
Today’s New Idea is a “not for profit” business so all proceeds from the sale of this app go toward the development of other apps we hope users will find educational or beneficial.
New in this version:
- iOS 14 support
- Encipher, send and decipher messages directly in iMessage - no more need for copy and paste acrobatics! (remember to configure the cipher first)
Updated in this version:
- Fixed a bug that could prevent Enigma cipher configuration
- Simplified the configuration of Public/Private key cipher
- Fixed a minor typo in some feedback messages
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Today's New Idea
- 14.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Today's New Idea
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.