We built Code App to bring a desktop-like code editing experience to iPadOS.
See the project's source code, roadmap, discussion, and documentation on GitHub: github.com/thebaselab/codeapp
Local Node.js, Python, PHP, C, C++ runtime
• Built-in Matplotlib, Pandas, Numpy
• Install global commands such as typescript and prettier
Server-side code execution for 40+ languages
• Requires an active internet connection
• Inputs can be submitted before runtime
• Clone private repositories
• Commit, push or fetch changes from remote
• File status indicator
• Gutter indicator
• Checkout to branches or tags
• Compare difference between commits
• Search for repositories on GitHub
• 70+ Linux commands (ls, cd, nslookup etc.)
• Bash-like user primitives such as piping, history and completion
Monaco Editor - the same editor that powers desktop VS Code
• Supports multiple themes (VS Dark+, VS Light+, Solarized (Light & Dark), Xcode Dark, Monokai Dimmed, Quiet Light)
• Find & replace
• Mini Map
• Support for Trackpad / Mouse scrolling
• And most other text editing features available on desktop VS Code
• Dark / Light Mode
• Markdown file preview
• Preview your web project with built in web server
• Files App Integration
• Multiple Files Searching
• GB / EUC KR encoding support
Supported languages for local execution:
- Python 3.9.2
- PHP (8.0.8)
- C, C++ (Clang 13.0.0)
Supported languages for server-side execution:
Assembly (NASM 2.14.02)
Basic (FBC 1.07.1)
C# (Mono 188.8.131.52)
COBOL (GnuCOBOL 2.2)
Common Lisp (SBCL 2.0.0)
D (DMD 2.089.1)
Erlang (OTP 22.2)
Fortran (GFortran 9.2.0)
Haskell (GHC 8.8.1)
Java (OpenJDK 13.0.1)
Objective-C (Clang 7.0.1)
Pascal (FPC 3.0.4)
Prolog (GNU Prolog 1.4.5)
Visual Basic.Net (vbnc 0.0.0.5943)
Support Email: email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Solidity Syntax Highlighting/Compiler
Please add solidity syntax highlighting and compiler. Also, the vscode intellisense autocomplete would really make coding easier and faster with this app. I really hope to see these features including in upcoming updates. For now, I’ll rate it 4 stars.
Dream Come True
This is a tool that I have been looking for the past couple years after coming across Pythonista. The language support and similarity to my desktop setup is very nice! It makes it easy to work on the go and just play around with projects. Either way, if you’re looking for a Text Editor similar to VSCode for your iPad and this is the solution.
I wonder if plugin support will ever come? That’d be killer!
Thank you and keep up the support!
Since ~2013, I’ve used an iPad to develop on-the-go and in classrooms, and I’ve always been disappointed by the weak dev tools that were supported on the App Store.
With this app supporting many of the VSCode shortcuts (specifically multicursor support), I’ve been quite impressed.
The only thing I wish could be added is support for some of the instructions from the VSCode MetaGo / MetaJump extensions,
Namely bookmarks & the search and jump functionality it supports.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shing Hin Chung
- 669.6 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
English, German, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 thebaselab
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.