The Forest of Dean, a green island nestled between two rivers; the mighty Severn and the winding Wye. This ancient forest has had a rather traumatic past. In medieval times it was a royal hunting forest, then a source of timber for the navy's Tudor warships. By Victorian times it was a major site of industry; it's noisy landscape greatly scarred by coal and iron mining, quarrying and associated industries.
Use this App to explore Coleford’s hidden heritage following a route including the Clock Tower, Whitecliff Furnace and Darkhill Iron Works.
As you explore the route, your location will be tracked on the map using the GPS on your device. When you near a point of interest, see how the past merges into the present with text, a static historic picture or a “fade image” that shows a smooth transition between the historic and modern landscape, taking you from what you see now to what life used to be like.
- 31 Places of interest to explore as you travel this exciting trail.
- Offline mapping based on the 1920, highly detailed, 6 inch to the mile OS map.
- GPS located position shows your exact location on the map.
- Stunning, GPS triggered, "Fade images" show a transition from historic photo to modern landscape.
Extra place added - Titanic Steelworks (west)
- AT Creative Limited
- 67.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Foresters’ Forest HLF Landscape Partnership Programme
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.