The Common Core Early Language Screener (CCELS) is a screening tool used to identify weaknesses in early language skills. The CCELS was designed to be used with pre-Kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade aged children as it was based on the common core expectations for each grade; however, the screener can be used for other groups if needed.
The Common Core Early Language Screener can be used to:
1. Screen a child’s early language skills
2. Provide additional data for standardized language tests
3. Determine strengths and weaknesses in language development
4. Measure progress of child
5. Provide data for Response to Intervention techniques
6. Screen language skills to determine if additional testing is needed
The Common Core Early Language Screener has features, such as:
1. Ability to watch a video tutorial of how to effectively use the app
2. School and evaluator information only has to be entered one time, then it is automatically added to each new screening and report
3. Ability to enter a student’s name and track progress over time
4. Review past screenings
5. Generate report analyzing performance in each subtest
6. Ability to print evaluator form and/or child form
1. Answering basic personal question,
2. Identifying actions
3. Labeling pictures
4. Color Identification
5. Shape identification
7. Number identification
8. Alphabet identification
9. Alphabet labeling
10. Blending syllables & phonemes
11. Phonemes segmentation
12. Word recognition
13. Identification of capitalizations and punctuations
15. Pronouns identification
18. Comparative vocabulary
19. Pattern identification
20. Repetition of phrases and numbers
21. Following directions
22. Answering questions about short stories
23. Expressive speech and language skills
We have update the app for iOS 12. Enjoy! Thank you all for the great feedbacks we have received.
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn't make use of the power of an IPad
This was not worth the money. It is like putting a paper based screener on the IPad. I had to write the students responses for my notes. The students quickly figured out that the IPad was not responding to them. They didn't even bother to touch the pictures. Why not have the IPad ask them the questions (with a repeat button as needed, for those who need repetition to focus). The kids would love responding with a recorded answer. Why not use the IPad's ability to record responses. Maybe even an occasional animation (for action words perhaps?). And a click sound and occasional encouragement for completing tasks. Lastly, while this does give a basic overview of student performance, there is no depth to any of the tasks. Direction tasks should include more than a simple 2 step action command (touch your head and clap your hands). As an SLP this gives me little to go on. Lastly, it would've been helpful to address a wider age level. I love many of my Smarty Ears apps! But I feel cheated on this one.
For a company that puts out materials for SLPs this app ignores most of the speaking/listening/language goals from the Common Core standards. The academic materials for reading and writing are fine but not where my work is focussed. The beginnings are alright, but this needs a lot of revision before it will be on my regular used apps. I should have read the reviews first but I've always liked the Smarty Ears products.
Needs more language
I was hoping for more language items overall and less literacy items (such as in the CELF 4 Screener) because I would a screener to determine if a formal language evaluation was needed. (Alphabet, counting, etc...would be more academic and is already covered by beginning of the year classroom teacher testing). I would be looking for more language information when screening.
More items per area would be useful too (possibly 10). Also there is no criterion score comparison to determine how a student did overall when compared to others his/her age.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Smarty Ears, LLC
- 37.1 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © All rights reserved to Smarty Ears, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.